1753288 Members
5712 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Loss of BL chassis connectivity

MattH_1
Occasional Advisor

Loss of BL chassis connectivity

We have three enclosures (the latest version) supporting BL20p blades with Cisco Gbe switches and qlogic HBAs for SAN connectivity. We have been getting some errors in the itegrated mangement log:

Loss Of Chassis Connectivity (Enclosure Address B3A5)

Immediatly followed by

New Chassis Connected (Enclosure Address B3A5)

This happens only occasionally, once or twice month. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Matt:

Is the firmware versions on the 3 enclosures the same? what about up to date? WHat about thepower enclosure?

You might have a bad blue iterconnect cable, however unlikely.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
MattH_1
Occasional Advisor

Steven,

All of the enclosures are at 2.20 including the power supplies. It is possible that the cable could be bad..
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I believe there is a newer version out...2.3 for the enclosures.

I doubt it is the cable, but like i said... it could be possible due to several factors. Bending, heat, etc.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
MattH_1
Occasional Advisor

We conatcted HP a while ago and they said pretty much the same thing to bring all firmware to the latest rev. We did and the events went away for about a month then came back. I am wondering if these events are common place with other folks out there.
MattH_1
Occasional Advisor

3 months ago we brought all firmware to the same rev. (2.20) and the messages went away for about a month. I am wondering if this is a common error. Hopefully, I can check the cables today.
Sven Bo R├╕nn_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi. We have 4 Bl Racks with a mix of Bl20p, bl25p and bl45p. We have the same error 1 or 2 times a month in only one of the racks. We are running 2.30 in fw in all encl incl power enclosure. I have not checked the blue cables. In the rack with the problem all enclosures are G1, and all servers are Bl20p. I have startet a fw brush-up of all the servers - hopefully it helps? Surely I'll check the blue cables too.
This is of no help to you - I know, but its always good to know, that you're not alone with a problem ;-)
Regards/Sven
Michael Boots_1
Advisor

I have just started getting this exact error, but only after upgrading to 2.3 firmware on the chassis' (were on 2.1 previously i think).
We are running a mix of BL25p, and BL20p.

This obviously isn't an isolated issue.

Do you know Prov0?
Dave Wheeler

I had the following error (all bl25p chassis). It showed up only in the event log, so it didnt' appear to cause an outage. Has anyone noticed anything more than the event log entry?

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: cpqriis
Event Category: None
Event ID: 107
Date: 10/12/2006
Time: 8:37:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxx
Description:
Rack Infrastructure : Loss Of Chassis Connectivity (Enclosure Serial Number xxxxxxx)
dospavlos
Frequent Advisor

Anyone find a fix for this yet? I'm getting it on 3 of the 6 racks in my environment; mixure of 25/35/45's. Rack firmware are a mixure of 2.3 and 2.32. I've tried swapping out management modules but errors still occur.