New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost Password for Windows server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Lost Password for Windows server

Hi all,

There is a HP Storageworks Server (don't know what model as it is just 1U and no details is given except SL no and iLO login detials) with 'Windows 2000 Advanced Server' OS installed on it. CV-EVA is installed on this server to manage EVA 3000.

Now the issue is, Password for the server is lost. The Storage Admin doesn't know even Hostname/IP of the server.

Also, there is requirement to know what is the Vdisk, the RAID level configured on the EVA which are presented to HP-UX servers(is there any way to check RAID level of the VDISK of EVA from HP-UX server?).

Apart from that it is required to create and add more Vdisk. Tried to reset by booting from CD(which is used to reset Admin passwd for other Windows versions of OS), but no success.

Checked ITRC, found following link: http://www.lostpassword.com/windows.htm .
The tool 'Windows Key' available needs to be bought. There is demo version available - will it work for above version of OS. If not, what are other solutions.

Need your suggestions on this.

Regards,
Ramaprasad K
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Is this a standalone server or part of a domain?

CV EVA is browser based and uses domain credentials. But the User name needs to be added to the local Storage Admins group - created by the CV install.

Also, CV EVA doesn't store details of the EVA, so reinstalling it will not lose data about the EVA.
You will need license keys though if you're using items like Business Copy or Continuous Access. Also if you chose to go to CV 7 or CV8 then you'll also need the CV EVA license key as well.
The main things you'd need to reconfigure would be things like e-mail notifications and access to ISEE if it's used.

Reinstalling may be an easier option if you have the license details.

On the server there's also a scripting utility installed - called SSSU. If someone has written some scripts then there may be an account / password that'll give you some access to the EVA layout.
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I presume I didn't make myself clear in my original post. Let me restate it- I am unable to log in into a HP Storageworks server which has 'Windows 2000 Advanced Server' installed on it as the password is forgotten (CV-EVA is installed on this server).

So tried breaking password using CD used for Windows XP or Vista, but no success. Are there any other options apart from reinstalling OS.

If no, and as last resort - after reinstalling OS, I need to install CV-EVA (considering all License part). So to see all hosts, Vdisks (their presentation), and other configuration of existing EVA on this freshly installed CV-EVA, what do I need to do? Will it be taken automatically once I discover products?

Also, instead of all this re-installation, is there any way to reset Administrator password for the server?

Regards,
Ramaprasad K.
MIREK_8

Hi,

You can test Ophcrack Live CD http://lifehacker.com/software/password-recovery/screenshot-tour-how-to-crack-a-windows-password-with-ophcrack-live-cd-232963.php
I've used it when I forgot password on a W2000 server. But I don't know if it will work with a very strong password.

Good luck

Alexandre
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you can crack the password you're in. But I don't know a way of recovering the Administrator password on a server. Even most recovery operations require using the existing password. So you may be rebuilding the entire server.
Unless you have a domain account that has Admin Rights to the server.

The EVA itself holds all the data on Raid Sets, Replication sets, Hosts presented etc. not CV. So a reinstall isn't too painful.

It depends on your installation / maintenance agreement, but as well as CV EVA there's WEBES and ISEE to consider.

By StorageWorks Server, are you referring to Storage Management Appliance? This is how HP used to say the EVA had to be managed and it was a server that you had special patches etc. for. If so then this approach has gone away. Most installations of CV and associated products are done on a standard W2K3 Server.
If you have another Server that has HBA's installed you could use that or just trash and rebuild the existing SMA.
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Fortunately got a software (excellent one) which was able to reset password.

Reset password and resolved the issue.
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Hi Which software did you use?? can you please share it...
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Hi,

As far as I remember, I got the password resetting software from Windows admin and I don't remember or have access to that right now. Probably you could get one online but its not cake walk I can say (from my experience).

--
Ram.