5039 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Lost access to Logicaldrive after change broken cache module

Ruben_Herold
Frequent Advisor

hi,

ok once again what happed. Our monitoring  marked the server dead. We check it and found it in a boot loop.
Error Message was an error from the controller.  IML shows: " 38 Drive Array 09/14/2021 07:05 09/14/2021 07:05 1 Drive Array Controller Failure (Slot 0) ".

We replaced the Cache module with a other (Same Partnumber, Same Size). System boots up and shows us now the Message:

"1785-Slot 0 Drive Array not Configured

Configuration information indicates drives were configured on a controller with a newer firmware version. To avoid data loss, reattach drives to original controller or upgrade firmware."

Controller is on newest firmware.  We checked all cableing and also give the system a boot without disks and then reinsert the disks. Nothing changed

We tried to switch the sas ports. Still same message.  Post Message  still 1785 on every boot.

"If still nothing, i am afraid to say that you may have to recreate the array." <-- this is not aceptable without a good explanation how this could happend cause by a failed cache module. If every time a cache module dies we are at risk loosing access to arrays, we must think about using HPE hardware in the future.

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

@Ruben_Herold 

IML shows: " 38 Drive Array 09/14/2021 07:05 09/14/2021 07:05 1 Drive Array Controller Failure (Slot 0) ".

Above message indicates controller fault,

how did you determine that there is bad cache ? Was there any cache failure error logged in IML ? 

Also exchange cache was of same capacity? and was it from same model server/controller ?

Did you consulted any one before swapping cache from a working machine ?

Please put back the original cache module and check the status.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Ruben_Herold
Frequent Advisor

hi,

yes we contacted our hpe reseller, they told us cause now warranty on the server that the controller on board could be broken or the cache module.

We removed the cache module and the disks for testing an the controller came up normaly. Reinserting the old module goes to the same controller error. After inserting a new cache module with the same Partnumber the controlles comes up normaly. After reinserting the disks (same positions) we got the described error message.

We don't swapping cache from a working machine it was allready in a state that the controller did not come up.

Ruben_Herold
Frequent Advisor

Any news on the issue?