1753479 Members
4921 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lost data on Raid 5

yugao
Occasional Advisor

Lost data on Raid 5

We have a DL 380 G3 that lost two hard drives over the weekend and it seems that we can't get the data back. This system have 6 drives with Raid 5 over all 6 drives (don't ask me why, this is before my time). Any one have any idea how we can recover the data? Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Re: Lost data on Raid 5

I guess you are not look at any advice right now about backup/restore/should-have-done etc....

RAID5 cannot afford 2 disks failure --- If there is absolutely NO WAY to recover one of the dead disks, then you can use data recovery software and fill in the blanks. It does not recover a complete set of data, but you can at least have something back.

Try www.data-recovery-software.net
Learning never ends
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Lost data on Raid 5

While I generally agree about there being no way to obtain ALL of the data, I don't believe you had 2 drives fail. This is very unlikely and is more likely caused by a problem with the backplane. This doesn't change the fact the data is inaccessible (due to the logical drive failure). If those 2 drives haven't been replaced yet, then the data should definitely be available from data recovery service. HP recommends Drive Savers: http://www.drivesavers.com/
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..