5597 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: M150 G6 Memory Issues

mjmjross
Occasional Contributor

M150 G6 Memory Issues

Hello,

I have 3 Proliant M150 G6 servers brand new in the box. I have opened and tested 2 of them with the same results, they are as follows:

I am trying to upgrade the memory from the standard single 2G Hynix stick to (2) 4G Kingston sticks (8G total). The Kingston sticks I am using are KTH-PL313/4G and are registered. The HP equivalent part number is listed right on the package and is 500658-B21. When I have the Kingston memory installed, 3 out of 4 boots will be ok. On the 4th boot one of 2 things will happen, I will either get the 8 beep error and freeze OR it will boot up without beeps, but during POST I will get the "101 Unsupported memory" error and it will only show 4G installed. When I take out the Kingston sticks and put in (4) 2G Hynix sticks (that came with these originally) the system runs as it should.

I have called Kingston to verify and they guarantee that their memory will work and is not the problem. I then called HP and they won't even talk to me (even though I have a "preferred" ID and account) because I am using "3rd party" hardware. 

Anybody else out there experiencing these issues?

Thanks......

6 REPLIES 6
mjmjross
Occasional Contributor

Anyone?

I have now opened the 3rd server, brand new. Same memory, same problem. 

Thanks.....

SMR
Valued Contributor

I know you won't like hearing the same thing HP support told you but I'm just honest, Kingston or X memory vendor will always tell you they're compatible but in the end you're on you're own if it doesn't work, buy HP certified memory and avoid the pain.

Good luck

mjmjross
Occasional Contributor

Thanks SMR,

I thought that might be the case and was kind of expecting to hear it.

I appreciate the reply.....

mjmjross
Occasional Contributor

Well,

I purchased "HP certified" memory from HP and guess what, same problem. All 3 servers will not recognize more than 8G memory, no matter how configured. I had an HP tech come out and she brought some memory of her own. After replacing the board in one of the servers she tried her memory. All of her sticks worked. She thinks I was sent a bad batch of memory!!

Ugh, this whole thing has been the single most painful setup I have ever encountered. 

Rethinking HP servers.........

Lyosh108

I am having the same problem with Kingston memory and HP ML150 G6.
Can't understand what was the final decision of HP tech - can you clarify?
Did Kingston memory work after motherboard replacement or you had to use HP branded memory?

Thanks!
Alexey.
mjmjross
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Alexey,

I haven't logged in for a while. Final outcome was a new motherboard and HP memory. The HP memory that I had was no good. The tech traded her memory with the HP memory that I had and it all worked. I still have 2 other M150's here that I need to test with Kingston. When I do that, I will post the results.