1752609 Members
4048 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MAC Recv Errs

Mathew_13

MAC Recv Errs

Hi All,

I have an ML350 G2 at a remote site. I started to get a large ( > 20000000 / day) errors (including FCS) on the NIC and the machine was responding very slowly on the network.

The server was moved to a different switch and a different cable to no avail. HP have now replaced the feature board which has mostly relieved the errors (now <10000 / week) and no FCS but the server still runs extremely slow.

Can anyone suggest how I can track down where these errors are coming from to fix the problem. I am pretty sure my slowness orignates from the NIC as I cannot view any network properties from within the windows GUI other than the HP NIC utility.

Thanks,

Mat
3 REPLIES 3
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: MAC Recv Errs

Hi Mathew

I believe remote site is linked via router & communication network. There could be a possibility of errors on account of communication link. You may request local telecom service provider to check the link for signal attenuation, error counts etc....

Regards
Mahesh
Mathew_13

Thanks Mahesh. The site is connected by a frame relay link, but no other server or workstations in the office are experiencing any problems.

I believe it has to be something within the server as I cannot view network details as I mentioned above, but I also cannot stop/restart any service. The service hanges in the stopping state.
Mathew_13

I have sorted this out now. It was the APC Powerchute software for the UPS. The JRE expired 25 JUL 2005 causing the server to slow down and produce these types of problems when it was first restarted after this date.

Check out this link for more details ...
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Mz1ivCLh&p_lva=2998&p_faqid=7202&p_created=1119891241&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD09NzIwMiZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li