ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752447 Members
6343 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 110 G2 '119' DISK error & app hangs.

Stu_16

ML 110 G2 '119' DISK error & app hangs.

Hi all.
I have a brand new ML 110 G2 server that's been deployed on a customer site.
It's running win 2k3 and exchange 2k3 with all SP's and hotfixes.
Sporadically the system generates hundreds of 119 DISK errors, then services begin to fail until finally the server reboots.
I have tried swapping the primary drive and disabling all mirroring to ease system load to no avail. I think there may be faulty memory so i have ordered replacement DIMMs.
Does anyone know of this error?
Perhaps it's some firmware or a new driver that fixes this, but i cannot find much info on this problem on the MS site or here on HP.
Any ideas are most welcome!

Tnanks
Stu.
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

It sounds like you system is overloaded. Refer to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=119&Evtsrc=disk&LCID=1033 for Microsoft's view of the message.

Find out how much memory that your applications need and see if the system meets that minimum requirement. If the minimum requirement is met, consider doubling it to bring performance to a more acceptible level. You may also consider switching over to a more powerful storage controller and/or hard drive(s).

In the short term, you could experiment with the Windows cache settings in the System applet in the Control Panel. However, that essentially trades memory allocated to applications to that of the system cache, so resolving the "issue" may not resolve the overall performance of the server at it's current level.
Stu_16

HI I don't think it's spec related. MS reccomends 384MB of RAM for SBS standard.
This system has 512MB.
It also has a 3GHZ CPU and SATA disks.
The amount of work taking place on the server is minimal.
Often, it becomes unresponsive during the night when noone is accessing the machine and not during the backup cycle.

I will try swapping and also doubling the RAM as I haven't tried this yet but i'm not too confident it'll make much difference - the system should be more than fast enough for the workload it's being hit with.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm about ready to send the whole unit back to the supplier if HP doesn't come through with an answer. :(
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

If the server is more than 30 days old it may be hard to return it; it would considered "used" and they would want to repair it rather than replace it.

To prepare you case, you may want to run the hp Insight Diagnositcs Offline edition, available from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6127.html . There are also a number of updated drivers on that page. If the issue is storage driver related, for instance, perhaps a driver update will allieviate the issue.