ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748245 Members
3832 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 110 G6 with P212/256 smart array --> connect more drives on external Connector

Allan D.

ML 110 G6 with P212/256 smart array --> connect more drives on external Connector

Hi

Has anyone ever tried to connect more drives to the P212 on the external connector? I can't even find a cable to connect like the internal one SAS-->4x SATA
Is there something like this? The only thing I found was: http://www.delock.de/produkte/gruppen/Kabel/Delock_Kabel_SAS_mini_26pin_zu_4x_eSATA_SFF_8088_-_4x_eSATA_1m_83064.html?setLanguage=EN
Is this working? Has this ever someone tried before? A RAID 5 without Hot Spare is not very nice and as there is a second connector (SFF-8088) I'd like to connect at least one more drive.

Thanks for help.

Regards

Allan
6 REPLIES 6
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: ML 110 G6 with P212/256 smart array --> connect more drives on external Connector

Hi Allan,

Could you please elaborate a little bit

what exactly is connected to the external connector. how is the setup and what exactly you are trying to do.

The SA-P212 controller supports up to 54 drives.
Eight (8) SAS physical links distributed across 1 internal x4/1 external x4 wide port connectors.

generally we connect external enclosure to the external port.
quickspecs explains the connections available
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13203_div/13203_div.HTML

thanks,
aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Alain D

Hi Ali (same Allan, but forgot my login credentials)
I solved the problem myself in the meantime, totally forgot about this thread:
what I did is buying the following cable and cabling it back inside the server onto the interface of the SATA disc so I can connect a 5th hard disk as a hot spare to my RAID1+0:

http://neu.kabelmeister.ch/shop/article/13919/SAS%20Kabel%20SFF-8088%20auf%204x%20S-ATA%20xover,%20ext.%20mini%20SAS%20Host%20auf%204x%20S-ATA/SAS%20HDD,%2075cm

Works like a charm, would be my best guess on how to solve this problem on connecting more than 4 drives to an ML110.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Allan,

I agree with you.

from the SATA connection perspective, you can use the same cable to connect another set of drives internally or externally as it uses serial communication. only problem that we see on few occassion is the placement of the drive if you don't have slot available internally.

information shared would be helpful for others
I really appreciate that.

thanks again.
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Alain D

Here's what I did:

first, after ordering the ML110 G6, I ordered the following cable which is NOT working for the P212/256 Smart Array controller on the external interface:

487734-B21

This cable is not working for external use, for Internal only. Connector is SFF-8087 instead of 8088 which is needed for external connection. With the following cable it is possible to connect up to 4 more drives to the server by simply removing a slot bracket and then bringing it back into the server:

http://neu.kabelmeister.ch/shop/article/13919/SAS%20Kabel%20SFF-8088%20auf%204x%20S-ATA%20xover,%20ext.%20mini%20SAS%20Host%20auf%204x%20S-ATA/SAS%20HDD,%2075cm

Boot the server, open the smart array configuration utility and you'll see the newly connected drive. I just had to add a 5th disk as a hot spare which I ended up installing with an HD adaptor for installing into 5.25" bracket underneath the CDROM-drive. Works like a charm.

Hope I could have helped somebody having the same issue.
Cem Karadeniz

Hello,

I am trying to add more than 4 SATA drives to P212/256MB with BBWC. I have six (6) WD RE3 1TB drives. Four of them are connected to internal connector of P212 and there is no problem with that connection. However, if I connect the external (SFF-8088) to additional 2 drives P212 does not recognize them. I also tried connecting only to SFF-8088 (without using internal connector) but still no go. Do I need to enable something on the card? My external cable is SFF-8088 to x4 SATA cable. Please advise. Thank you.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Most HP adapters only work internal or external. You can't do both. External use a SAN or MSA storage.