1753253 Members
4075 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 110 doesn't power off

Rui Azevedo_2
Occasional Advisor

ML 110 doesn't power off

Hi! I recently bought a Proliant ML110 for my company and since I installed it with Windows Server 2003, it has never powered off.
Already tried BIOS and other firmware updates, Intel Chipset driver updates, checked the APCI setting in both the BIOS and Control Panel and nothing.
Finally I gave up and contacted hp support in Portugal, who exchanged my motherboard but the server keeps not powering off (it shows the you can now turn off your computer screen).
Can anyone please give me a clue as for why this is happening and what the solution can be?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

What happens when you press the On/Off button for 4 seconds or more ?

If it does not switch off then the Power Supply may be faulty.

You should be able to do this while the system is running.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

What software have you installed on this server? Is this a clean OS install? It's possible some UPS software may cause this issue.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rui Azevedo_2
Occasional Advisor

When I press the power button for 4 sec or more it powers off. A brief touch (less than 4 secs) doesn't turn it off.
And yes it is a clean install and it has no UPS for now.
Jeff Wilkins
Valued Contributor

Take a look in your registry. I have not looked on 2003, but in XP in know it is below. Okay I looked 2003 is he same.

Set this value to 1. There are some shutdown troubleshooters out there if you look.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"PowerDownAfterShutdown"="1"
jfwilkins@hotmail.com
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Is ACPI or other power management options turned off in your BIOS?

The difficulty is that if they were turned off during install, Windows 2003 installs the appropriate non power managed HAL. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to move to the correct one (without a rebuild of course).
Rui Azevedo_2
Occasional Advisor

Jeff:
Yes I already checked that option in the Registry and it it set to 1
Joshua:
Actually that option was off during install, but was turned on shortly after.
Unfortunatly a new install is not an option right now, as the server is in production, maybe over the weekend. Is there any other way to replace the HAL?
Rui Azevedo_2
Occasional Advisor

Today I managed to try somthing.
Instead of reinstalling the server, I did an upgrade by booting the server with the Windows Server 2003 CD.
After installing I went to see in the Device Manager and there it was an ACPI Multiprocessor PC instead of the Standard PC, wich was there before.
The next shutdown went normaly : the server powered off.
So here's my advice to you out there : before installing the OS check to see if the ACPI is turnd on on the BIOS because it can save you a lot of trouble.
Thanks to all of you that helped.

Rui
Rui Azevedo_2
Occasional Advisor

Ah!
One more thing!
After the installation you have to reinstall all the patches and service packs, so the server will work all right.
This is important!!!