1752806 Members
5477 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 110G4 SATA Embedded RAID

Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

ML 110G4 SATA Embedded RAID

I have a customer with a ML110G4. It is running SBS 2003 R2 and was configured with two 160Gb SATA hard disks setup with RAID 1 using the onboard controller. The RAID set was partitioned into two drives in the OS - C and D.

The system had been running well for several months but a few weeks ago the system started to get errors on boot up which HP service determined to be a fault with the motherboard. A service call was logged and they came out and replaced the motherboard.

However the next time I logged into the server I discovered that RAID hadn't been enabled on the new motherboard and that the customer now had four partitions - C, D, G and H - the OS was now seeing the second drive.

I tried enabling RAID in the BIOS but I got the BSOD.

I then tried deleting the RAID set in the BIOS, deleting the mirror set and recreating the mirror set in the BIOS. Still got a BSOD.

I tried updating the HP Embedded SATA RAID driver under the OS. However it won't install with RAID disabled (hardware not found). But I can't boot Windows with it enabled. Catch 22.

Then logged another call with HP and they decided to replace the motherboard again in case this was the problem. The technician came out and replaced it again. Went through the steps above to enable RAID again with the same result.

I don't understand why it shouldn't have worked in the first place if only the motherboard was replaced, unless it's a different revision motherboard that wasn't compatible with the existing driver. Of course I have no way of checking that now.

I've now had to leave the server running without RAID as I'm out of ideas short of rebuilding the server from the start.

Any suggestions?
25 REPLIES 25
Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

Incidentally, if I have the RAID controller enabled but the drives not in a RAID set (i.e. JBOD) it still blue screens.
Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

The latest on this is that HP Support has absolved themselves of all responsibility of this problem and have decided it's a "software issue" not covered by the warranty. They've suggested I reinstall the whole server. Of course the fact that the software worked fine until they replaced a faulty motherboard appears to be beside the point.

Before I take the drastic step of totally rebuilding the customers' server there's one other path I'm going to explore. I discovered that if I enabled SATA AHCI in the BIOS (the option is only available when RAID is disabled) I get the same stop error on booting Windows.

I'm scheduling downtime and then I'm going to try installing the latest AHCI drivers from the HP web site (after a disaster recovery backup). Anyone had anything similar before I take the next step?
Jamie W
Occasional Advisor

Hi Wayne,

We are having EXACTLY the same issue here (replaced motherboard, now BSOD unless we disable SATA RAID). Did you ever get to the bottom of this or come up with a workaround?

My guess is it has to be something like a embedded sata firmware mismatch on the new motherboard. However, I don't appear to be able to find any firmware upgrades for the HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller...

Regards,

Jamie
Joyson Noronha
Frequent Advisor

Hi Wayne,

Hope this Information Might Help You.

The Possible Cause is Firmware Update,As these motherboard are Stocked for along time & Hence the Hardware is not Flashed with the Latest Bios

Here are the 2 Imp Firmware

1) Firmware and BIOS for HP SAS/SATA HBA with RAID
version 06.14.07.00 (31 May 07)
File name:-SP35921.EXE

2) Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML110 G4 Servers
version 2007.07.20 A (3 Aug 07)
File name:-SP36639.EXE

- Does it Reboots after the BSOD or Freezes, If Possible Make a Note of the Stop Error

-Joyson
Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jamie,

Afraid not. I escalated it with HP support and they sent out a technician twice but the only solution that they offered was for me to reformat the server and start all over again. I wasn't willing to wear the cost of this and neither was the customer. I did spend considerable time playing around with drivers and such but couldn't come up with a solution without a BSOD.

The server is running with software RAID at the moment, it was the only solution I could offer the customer.

Not sure about the firmware. They did upgrade the firmware of the motherboard at the time of the replacement to the latest, which I suspected was the problem at the time. Not having the old motherboard to go back and compare version numbers I had no way of proving this.

I can check the versions again next time I'm out there in case something new has come along, but it would be nice if HP could offer something definitive.

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

Joyson,

That firmware is obviously later than what I had installed so would have to give it a go next time I'm out there and they can schedule some downtime. I know the motherboard firmware was current at the time the support case was raised, I was never offered an upgrade for the RAID controller firmware so couldn't tell you if it was up to date. In the end HP support deemed it to be a software problem and not covered by the warranty. Microsoft of course begged to differ and said it was a hardware problem. :(

The error was:

BSOD error STOP 0x0000007B (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000,
0x00000000)

The case ID's were

Regards,

Wayne
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Wayne/Jamie/Joyson;

I dont think there is a Hardware Fault involved in this; accept for the First Instance when the system board was replaced;

As you mentioned wayne that there is no option to install the RAID drivers in OS as the RAID is disabled in BIOS.... this is partially incorrect;

Once its says "NO newHardware Found" there is ALWAYS an option to install a new hardware MANUALLY; thats the point when you install the RAID drivers; Then restart the Server; On the FIRST reboot itself you need go to BIOS & enable the SATA RAID( Failing which WILL result in BSOD)

Yes I do agree that this is COMPLICATED; But believe me, I have tried this & this works for 90% ... yea there are some 10% cases where this fails;

I dont think You need to RE-INSTALL everything without attempting this step;

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Again,

I just read about Firmware upgrade;

NO ! This issue is ENTIRELY about Enabling RAID & providing the RAID Drivers at the Correct time. Firmware being the issue... is totally ruled out !

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Yet Again !

Follow the Steps Precisely;

1. Keep Embedded SATA RAID Disabled in BIOS.

2. Boot to OS, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder(desktop).

3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

(As mentioned, this step, no new hardware is detected, it has to be added MANUALLY)

4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1

A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously(IMPORTANT). Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

Regards,
James.