5160 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 110G4 SATA Embedded RAID

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

James

Thats a great answer which I hope proves to fix the problem for Wayne.

A lot of people have these issues when HP or third parties replace the system boards on the Proliant 100 series servers and forget to enable the Raid (It's disabled by default).

I've certainly taken note of this for the future.

Brian

Wayne Herring
Occasional Advisor

Thanks James, I'll give it a go when I'm next out there.

Regards,

Wayne
Jamie W
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the answers guys - I will be trying your suggested solution tomorrow Sujith, so thanks for posting it.

I'll report back, but it looks like its the solution we need.

I guess the one bit I don't get is if the replacement system board is the same then I would assume the onboard sata array controller is the same, as are the drivers required to interface with it. So why do I need to get back into windows and install the drivers? (obviously I've already installed these in windows as the array has been working 100% as expected until the system board required replacement).
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Thanks Brian/Wayne/Jamie.

Jamie, I know... installing the RAID Drivers again is a Question... without answers.

This is because, if you don't install the drivers.. & just enable the RAID, "at times" we end up on a BSOD !!!!

As i said, I really dont have an explanation on Y its so; But this is as close i could get to RAID on 100 series.

Regards,
James.
Jamie W
Occasional Advisor

Thanks James.

I have managed to get the server up and running, using the system board based hardware sata raid :)

I followed your instructions James, and this worked perfectly - but only for one reboot after completing the process. Subsequent reboots resulted in the same blue screens.

I had to switch off SATA Raid in the BIOS to boot back to windows. I then found that the OS had automatically installed drivers for an Intel based array controller - I think this was present on the old failed system board but not on the new one. If I uninstalled this array controller, rebooted (and reenabled SATA raid) I could boot back to windows successfully. But again only once, before the blue screen issue would reoccur.

I couldn't disable the Intel array controller in device manager, so I checked it properties to find out the location of its driver file. Then I uninstalled the Intel array controller, and deleted the driver file from the windows folder. I then did a search of the OS drive for any more instances of the driver file and deleted those too.

I can now reboot the server as many times as I like, with the SATA Array enabled (and the mirror has been rebuit and is working perfectly), with no more blue screens :) The only issue I get is a prompt for the driver file after a reboot - but if you cancel this everything continues to work perfectly!

I'll get rid of the driver prompt with a little more work - and then should be it case closed.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's great to have this issue nailed off for the client!

Regards,

Jamie
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello All,

Great Jamie; That was something new !!!!

Which intel drivers are u referring to ?

& which driver is the server looking for?(the one u ignore).

Regards,
James.
Jamie W
Occasional Advisor

Hi James,

The specific file was called "iaStor.sys" and it relates to an "Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID CONTROLLER".

Regards,

Jamie
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Yes, correct, intel driver;

Check this out:
http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/software/driver/

Try the one for Intel├В┬о 3100 Chipset. win2k3 - USB;

Though the board in ML110 G4 is an 3000; its the same family.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2568&DwnldID=10780&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20ProfessionalтМй=eng

Provide this driver & check if you get that bugging driver reminder again !

;)

Regards,
James.
Jamie W
Occasional Advisor

I'll give it a go if the customer agrees at a later date - but it's been up and running flawlessly this week so we're pretty happy to leave as is at least for the short term :)

Thanks again,

Jamie
phivu

i make sata raid like Sujith James instruction .
1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive. <--- done
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.<--- done
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver. <--- done

4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID. <--- done
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Create Array->Raid 1 <---- done
A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue. <--- done

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y". <--- i choose hdd which i install win 2k3 with raid

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.<--- done

But when i reboot , there 're no OS in both hard drive ... ??? pls advise me