Did you mean: 

ML 150 T02 G2 U320 Disk Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mik Hatfield
Occasional Advisor

ML 150 T02 G2 U320 Disk Drives

Hi

Although the quick specs document says you can only add U320 10K hot plug drives can you add U320 15K hot plug drives?

Is this restriction real or just marketing?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 150 T02 G2 U320 Disk Drives

You may add 15K drives of any size to you ML150
I went to look for the Quick Spec, http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12092_div/12092_div.html, and do not find any reference to "only add" in the drive support section. The controller supports U320 as a bus speed, but a U160 would function, just bring the bus speed down to 160. 10K or 15K disk spin rate is oblivious to the controller and does not require "support", but simple allows the 15K drive to read and write faster. If mixed with 10K drive in an array say, the 15K would be ready faster than the 10K that is all, there woould be no compatibility issues.
The reference I do find to a 15K drive is in the Storage section, under Hard Drives. It states only that "36-GB 15,000 rpm hard drive included in non-hot plug SCSI models only". The word used was "included", which I guess was because HP or Compaq (which ever it was at the time) had not aquired their 15K SCA hot swap drives yet and were not providing them as an option for a server ordered in the era. It does not state anything about not being able to "add" as you say.
You may add 15K drives of any size to you ML150
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Mik Hatfield
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply.
Are you in any way related to HP or are you independent?

The quick spec only listed 32GB 15K drives as available add-ons.
The higher capacity listed are all 10K drives.
Logic implied 15K drives should be OK but then logic isn't always prevalent when it comes to computers!

So, to clarify are you saying that any 15K U320 compatible drive HP supplied or other brand should work in this model?

A secondary question:
Since the U320 is a single channel controller and the system already has two 36GB 15K drives in a raid 1 mirror what are the options for adding additional drives.
In addition to the existing raid pair can it also support 2 x 146GB drives in a separate raid 1?

Thanks
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Only the monitor is from HP in this forum.

Again, I think the notation on upgrades is based on what HP had available at the time of their compatibility testing. Typically they will not list anything other than products they had actually tested in the machine before release. Too, they do not do this past the time of release, so when 73GB and 146GB 15,000 RPM drives come out, they would not go back and try them in every legacy machine.
So your logic is correct. Using a 15K drive of any manufacture will have no effect on the server.
A single SCSI channel can handle up to 6 devices in a string. The number of drives that your ML150 can hold is limited only to the number of mounting slots available. THe SPEC says there are 6 slots for SCSI drives. Yes 2 146 15K drives would be supported in a seperate RAID.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Mik Hatfield
Occasional Advisor

Hello E4

Thanks again for the reply.
I can now move on with confidence.
I'll award some points to this but first I'd beter go and read how to do it.
Thanks very much.

Mik Hatfield
Occasional Advisor

The answer I received confirmed my assumption.