1753851 Members
7425 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 310 G5 RAID synchronization problem

Kunta_1
Occasional Advisor

ML 310 G5 RAID synchronization problem

I have a HP ML 310 G5 Server with RAID 1 configured. One of the drive failed and replaced. I thought the RAID controller would synchronize the new drive with primary disk on the fly on the RAID controller level but it doesn't. Once i put in the new drive and boot to the OS and left on for few hours. HDD is blinking. Then i decided to reboot to see if the RAID rebuild is completed. I reboot the server then i see the "Degrade" on the RAID so i go into the RAID utility and see the drive is not sync and shows only 0%. After few minutes, the percentage move to 1%. I thought the RAID synchronization should take place at background but in this case, has to be done at the RAID utility otherwise it won't sync. Is this normal? Are any one of you have any problem after replacing a RAID1 Disk?
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

did you use HP storage manager to rebuild the HDD? search in help for "rebuild"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-64b379e59a804fe2a97da98a1c

also you can use F8 option during POST to rebuild HDD check here, page 8

http://www.jraf.ru/books/embedded_sata_raid_manual.pdf

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Kunta_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Karlo
I did install the HP storage manager and didn't detect any controller. The embeded RAID is disable and the server has an internal HBA card. I update the BIOS and the firmware that was told by HP support. Now I am testing to see if it synchronizes when i boot to the OS. I am assuming the RAID1 is rebuilding as i could see the LED flashing when i leave the OS idling. Is there any software to monitor the mirroring process for HP SC40Ge HBA? I want to make sure mirroring process is working.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh thanks for mention the controller

try this software then

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3041er/index.html?remote=1&locale=EN

bye
Kunta_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Karlo
Thanks for your help. Yes I download the Storage Manager from LSI and It doesn't work and i can see the new HDD is rebuild. Not sure how long it takes but at least i can see the status in the OS rather booting to LSI configuration under POST. HP should have this software place under Driver/software download.

Thanks for your reply!!
Kunta_1
Occasional Advisor

I was looking for utility like the HP Management homepage that give you the status of your hardware like RAID controller. Used LSI storage manager and now i could monitor and manage the RAID configuration.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

did wit work? or not?
the software?

bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

I meant the one I linked?
Kunta_1
Occasional Advisor

I download the Mega Storage Manager from LSI for HBA-SAS1064E adapter and it works.