108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 320 SATA - transfer to RAID 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

ML 320 SATA - transfer to RAID 1

We have Windows 2003 sp2 running on a 250gb sata drive (7.2k). We have purchased a second 250gb drive in order to setup RAID 1.

The system is already installed and everything has been configured for months now (using just one SATA drive), reinstalling is kind of out of the question.

1. Since the onboard raid is software RAID, which card needs to be purchased to do 2 channels raid 1.

2. Since Windows will need the driver of the card installed - how do we get it "in there" without installing from scratch.

3. After all of this is done we need to add the second drive to the raid 1 setup - I'm assuming any hardware raid card will allow us to do this.

Please advise. Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11
Aks2
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

First of all, there is no ML320 servers, may be its a DL320 G3, which has onboard SATA controller, and this controller is not software RAID, its Hardwar raid,

u can try this step, make sure u back up the data before you try this.
1. Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
2. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
3. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
4. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
5. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
6. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

cheers,
Akarsh
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

You are correct about the model, I always keep getting them mixed up. So when I enable the controller the windows partition won't be affected ?
Aks2
Valued Contributor

please confirm,
have you partitioned the harddrive further using Windows. or is it just one harddrive with windows installed in it??

Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

Its a disk containing 2 partitions. One contains windows and one is just a ntfs partition with files on it.

This is a working windows server 2003.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

The Partition should not affect the RAID rebuild. As as mentioned by Akarsh, wen u select RAID 1, Make sure u select the correct HDD which has the OS in it(step 5).

& again, needless to say, Be prepared before u attempt this. Have a Proper back up ready--Just in case !!

Happy Raid 1 !!

James !
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

Akarsh,
I have tried the method you mentioned but run into a problem in the Bios.

When I choose create an array, the first drive ( with windows installed ) is gray, it does not allow me to choose it.

The second drive is available and I am able to add it to the array, but I can't create an array with just one disk.

So the bottom line is, I can't add a drive to an array that has something on it, it would seem.

Any ideas ?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Rafal,
You are trying to EXPAND the array. Y BIOS?
R u not trying this in the Array Configuration Utility ?
The Expand Array task is listed only if there is an unassigned physical drive on the controller. The unassigned drive must also have a capacity no less than that of a drive in an existing array. If these conditions are not fulfilled, install at least one suitable drive on the controller, and then click Refresh.

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

"When I choose create an array, the first drive ( with windows installed ) is gray, it does not allow me to choose it."

This is supposed to be, as the HDD is already a part of an array; one HDD can only be in ONE array.

If you are not using ACU, please download it from :
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/sw-drivers.html

"WINDOWS GUI ACU"

regards,
James.
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

I'm creating a new array, but want to "seed" it with the first drive.

I will try the GUI now and get back to you.