1751701 Members
5429 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 350 G3 - Disk question

Hans hansen_2
Advisor

ML 350 G3 - Disk question

I have a ML 350 g3 server with two 36 gb disk in raid 1.

There are two partitions - C: and D: drive.

There are only 300mb left on C-drive while there are 15gb left on the D-drive

So my question is simple - how do I solve this problem the easiest way?
22 REPLIES 22
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ML 350 G3 - Disk question

Since you have 2 partitions on the 36 GB logical drive (array), you can move the data (if possible) from the C: to D: using Windows.

If you can't move the data, you can use utilities like Partition Magic to resize your partitions. Whatever suggestions you follow, please backup your data first. :)
Hans hansen_2
Advisor

What if we buy 2 new 72 gb disk and than remove one of the 36 gb disk - afterwards will the data be rebuild on the 72gb disk ? - and when the 72gb is ready the last 36gb disk can be replaced with an 72gb disk and so the two 72gb disk will be raid 1

Will this work?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can migrate a RAID 1 to bigger disks by replacing a disk, let the RAID rebuild and then replacing the other.
But this does not change the Windows partitions, the data is copied sector by sector, so you'll still have the same C: and D: partitions, and a unused space.
Your problem is software-related and cannot be solved by hardware. The hardware does not modify OS filesystem structures.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

That's right. You can increase the capacity of the logical drive by swapping 1 disk at a time allowing time to rebuild.

As mentioned by vcespon, the C: & D: would remain the same because they have been setup using partitioning or Windows Logical Volume Manager (LVM).

Your solution of installing 2 x 72 GB can be used, but you would need some utility like Partition Magic to resize the partitions.

As always, keep a valid backup of your data!
Hans hansen_2
Advisor

My thought was that if the raid was moved to two 72 gb disk - afterwards I would be able to assign the unused space to the c: drive.

Partition magic is a great tool for pc├В┬┤s, but not for raid systems is my experience
Rami Gabriel
Frequent Advisor

Kim,

Use Acronis Disk Director, extremely powerful and user freindly, just beware of the options and as mentioned before, complete backup first !

I've tested Acronis software with both DL380 G3's here and with great results...

www.acronis.com

They offer a 15 day trial too...

Rami
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kim,

If the C: was a logical drive created on the array controller, with separate logical drive for D: (hardware), you would be able to extend the logical drive (C:) using the Array Configuration Utility.

However, since you have 2 partitions on the same logical drive, it would not be possible extend C: alone. The complete logical drive can be extended, but not specific partitions.
Hans hansen_2
Advisor

OK. So If i delete the entire D: drive - afterwards I will be able to add the unused space to the c-drive.

After that a new D: can be made, if I understand correct.

But of course you need hell of a backup, that you for 110% sure are able to recover is something fails
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well, an interesting idea, but still there may be problems, and if you were going to go to all THAT trouble, then you would not need to extend, you might as well backup and restore both to new drives.
My suggestion is this. First find out what is filling up you C: partition, that is, what besides your OS is using it to store data more than the temporary files. Instead of replacing the 36GB disks, add 2- 73GB disks, construct a new RAID1 logical drive using the entire disk and copy everything from the D: partition to them, then delete the delete the old D: partition.
Once complete, if Windows, you would only have to make sure that the OS assigns "D:" to the new logical. Of couse then I would remove any Windows OS from any sort of hard mirror because the controller spend 90% of its time copying all that Windows temporary/VirtualMem stuff, which you have no use for, and also having a mirror of your Windows OS does you no good since most of the time it is corruption that cause the OD loss and not the loss of a drive.
Then you can backup and restore the OS partition to use the entire 36 GB
Hot Swap Hard Drives