3548 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 350 G3 Faulty Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shabbir_2

ML 350 G3 Faulty Drive

We own a ML 350 G3 server with 4 Ultra Wide SCSI 3 Drives (2 x 36.4Gb, 2 x 18.2Gb) Using a Smart Array 532 Controller

Logical Drive 1 (System) Comprises of 2 x 18.2Gb drives configured as Raid 1+0

Logical Drive 2 (Data) Comprises of 2 x 36.4Gb drives configured as Raid 1+0

The second drive in logical drive 1 is being reported as imminent failure. I have purchased a another matching drive.

My question is how do i go about replacing the hard drive, do i simply pull the faulty one out and replace it?

Are there any steps i should be taking before i initialise the rebuild?

Will the rebuild start itself or do i have to start it manually?
7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First
step should be taking backup.

Second
step should be removing the drive and trying to reconnect again. If the status will change from red to green it may try to rebuild. wait for a while. open acu it will tell you about status of same.

Third
This try to use Hard Drive Identifier to confirm the status of hdd as for any defective lots.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_4678.html

Fourth
Update m&P Pach on same server.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/20.html

If still rebuilding fails then replace the hdd with same capacity, you can do it online also.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Shabbir,

Yep, just trust your instinct and replace the faulty drive. Then relax, put your feet up, and watch your trustworthy SmartArray fix that for you.

Your decision on using Proliant has paid off! Unlike the stupid Dell Poweredge that I have been forced to use at the moment.

Gus
Learning never ends
Michael Saurman
Advisor
Solution

I replace degraded drives all the time, just pull out the faulty drive (which will show up as a normal failure) and install the identical replacement. The drive will initialize and then begin the rebuild process. You will notice the drive's online status led and access led will flash green. This indicates a normal rebuild process. You can verify it in ACU or IM.
Michael Saurman
Advisor

Also Prashant Sharma is correct in advising the M&P patch. I have fixed many false alerts with the patch however at our main customers site we have limited access to the os and can not down servers without a big production issue arising. So we must replace a degraded drive and apply the patch in our lab. The drive then goes back into inventory.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael Saurman,

Do try to reconnect the try once it shows you failure, it will try to rebuild. if it fails then we can surely go ahead with replacement. Since it is very much depends upon how critical data it is and how do we want to preserver that.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael Saurman,

Do try to reconnect the failed hdd and server will try to rebuild. if it fails then we can surely go ahead with replacement. Since it is very much depends upon how critical data it is and how do we want to preserver that.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Naa, if I get a disk error/failure AND it is reported in Insight Manager, I would normally log a call straight away to HP Support and get the replacement --- afterall, you have paid a lot of money and you do get pre-failure Warranty with the machine and it is for your own benefit to make a good use of it!

Of course, at the same time you have to ensure the machine is patched up-to-date!

It is better let them spend time and deal with the problem while conserve your vaulable time!!! :)
Learning never ends