Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML 350 G3 adding more disks

JaZZno
Occasional Visitor

ML 350 G3 adding more disks

Hi,
i have ML 350 G3 with SCSI raid card and im adding more disks to the system. Actually the disks are added to Storageworks 4314T.
Can i add SCSI disks while its turned on.
Or does the hotplug only support drive replaces?
2 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 350 G3 adding more disks

add new drive or pull drives when it failed is a HOT Plug step - should no affect system, however make sure if you add new drives all HW firmware is Up to date, Driver and Utilities and still have good backup
Attila Szabó
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML 350 G3 adding more disks

Jazzno,

ML 350 G3 doesnt got any integrated smart array controller, but the onboard SCSI controller (which is not a RAID controller) gives external SCSI port for you (as i remember just only with optional internal-to-external cables). If you connected the disk self to the onboard SCSI controller, then never try to add disks online, couse onboard SCSI doesnt support it.
If you use a Smart RAID controller (like Smart 642, which commonly used in ML 350 G3), you can insert the disks online to the self, and after that, use ACU (array config utility) to create or expand a Raid array. If you use Windows 2000 or 2003 server on it, just a rescan disk is enought to refresh the changes to the OS (sometimes Windows 2k server needs a restart).
You can check the type or the array controller in ACU also.

Greets,
Attila