1753767 Members
5985 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 350 G3 and RAID 5

Oscar B

ML 350 G3 and RAID 5

hi, i have a ML 350 with RAID 5 with UNIX Caldera 8 (I'm not installed this server) .... and wich know how recover data if one of my 3 HD died, what I'have to continue with the server up and not lost data .... I never work before with RAID 5 and need make prevent steps.

thx.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 350 G3 and RAID 5

Oscar:

Since you have a RAID5 array, you should be able to lose a single disk and NOT lose any data. The disk is hot swappable and can be replaced on the fly. Assuming it is Hardware RAID and not software, your Smart Array will automatically start rebuilding once the new drive is in place.

To make it a bit more safe, you can install a 4th drive and designate it as a hot spare. This hot spare will buy you some time in the case that a second disk fails after the first failure as long as the rebuild process finishes before the second failure.

Keep in mind that if 2 disks fail at the same time, 2 of the disks NOT designated as the hot spare.. you will lose data. There is not much more you can do on a stand alone server aside from software based Data Replication to another server.

Hope this helped somewhat as your questions were kind of hidden and not totally clear.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oscar B

thanks .... that need to know, the RAID is for hardware and the idea for other disk is very good .... y don't know how the array works when 1 HD fails, now can sleep like a baby .... thanks men
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

or can add up online spare in case of failure it will take over.

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible