108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 350 (G3) won't boot from SCSI with Promise card installed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Skip_10
Occasional Contributor

ML 350 (G3) won't boot from SCSI with Promise card installed

Onboard Adaptec controller has (2) mirrored 37.4 u360 drives. Win2k server os on this mirror. When I put the Promise 133 controller card in, it tries to boot to this controller. Can't seem to change the boot order, or the IPL boot order. Any suggestions? (Using 04/08/2003 bios)
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML 350 (G3) won't boot from SCSI with Promise card installed

Skip,

It sounds like the Promise card has its boot BIOS enabled which means that if it detects attached disks (INT 13 Devices) it will assume that the first disk found is hard disk 0. I know that Adaptec cards can disable the INT13 BIOS using CNTL-A to enter the setup so I assume your promise card can do something similar.

This doesn't disable access to the disks attached to the Promise card it simply stops the boot capability. If you have a user guide I'm sure this will appear somewhere under boot device, INT13 or BIOS in the documentation.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Skip_10
Occasional Contributor

That is the problem, the promise card doesn't have an accessible bios or jumper. I guess I'll have to find a different ATA controller. Thanks very much for the response.
e4services
Honored Contributor

DO you not think this is a question for Promise? I found this for you at promise, but what you may what to do is change to a more appropriate controller instead of an inexpensive one, so you can get more control over how the card loads it's BIOS.
http://www.promise.com/support/faq/faq_answer_eng.asp?faq_id=591
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Long_10

Same issue here

I have an ML330 G3 with HP Ultra3 Single SCSI as controller for my OS disk and a Promise 100TX2 as controller for my Data disk... the Promise 100 TX2 controller doesn't have a BIOS utility so there is no way I could change the fact that the system always fails to boot from the SCSI even if the Ultra3 is set as 1st boot controller...

I tried disabling the Promise Controller in PCI devices and could boot from the SCSI disk... but in Windows, the IDE disk connected to my Promise Controller does appears in Device Manager but not in Disk Management, which makes it impossible to use... any ideas?