ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753426 Members
5063 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 350 G4 fan noise

Roman Yedokov

ML 350 G4 fan noise

Fan is too loud. I called HP tech support. They told me to upgrade BIOS. I did. No changes. They told me to install ProLiant Support Pack. I did. No changes. They told me to go to support forums. Here I am.

Can it be fixed or it is just the way it works?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Elena Okulova_1

It may sound very simple, but with all necessary drivers from Proliant Support Pack installed - the speed (and loudness) of the fans depends on the temperature within the server room. If it is cool (the room is well airconditioned - around 18-20C) the fans are more quiet. But still it is loud to have ML350G4 and people working in the same room.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

You can throttle the fans speed within the BIOS (RBSU - F9 during post)

Somewhere under the advanced settings you can adjust the fan speed.

Sincerly.
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Roman Yedokov

Can you point me to specific menu item? I could not find anything related to fan speed.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi, I'm not knowing exactly and I can't just reboot the server to view the RBSU.

I now for sure it is in there.

It is somewhere under the advanced settings there you can set the fan speed to low instead of the default HIGH.

A bios update can cause this.

sincerly
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Roman Yedokov

I should have made myself clear. It is already on low speed. And still loud. When it is on high speed (1-2 seconds after turning on) it is very loud.
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

I think you should ask for service to replace the defective fan.
Mike Seddon
Occasional Contributor

I had this issue on a G4. The cooling unit for one cpu was faulty, so the exhaust fan was working overtime. HP replaced it and now all is well again.
Mark S_4

Hello, there is an issue with a small number of heatsink/fan assy's in the ML350 G4's that can cause this issue. The spin detect on the heatsink fan doesn't report correctly and can make the system over compensate to achieve the required cooling. You should log a service call for this and get the heatsink/fan assy(s?) replaced. This will slowly get worse until the system reaches a state where it will shut down and when it restarts it will say in the post that the system is overheated and should be left for 5 minutes to cool down.
Cheers...Mark
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Are you actually getting any errors about overheating in the OS or during post? If not, then I suspect this is not an overheating issue or fan problem.

What are you comparing the fan noise to? This should be significantly quieter than, say, a DL380 G4 (just the nature of the smaller fans), but it shouldn't be too loud.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..