New Discussion юеВ

ML 350 G4p SCSI RAID Controller Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
dmogli

ML 350 G4p SCSI RAID Controller Question

Hi Everyone,

i have this Server

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF05a/12135568-12135874-12135874-12325540-12325540-12244080.html

HP Proliant ML 350 G4p Model with an SCSI U320 Smart Array RAID Controller an wanted to know if someone could help me answering a short question.

I have three 147GB SCSI drives running in RAID 5 and i am running out of space so I want to buy three 300GB SCSI Seagate Cheetah 15K U320-SCA. Can I just plug them in and configure the RAID-Controller running this three Harddisks extra under RAID 5 or is it only possible to run them under RAID 5 as a whole with the other 147GB HDs?

I am using Linux with Kernel 2.6.18 64bit but no LVM and the maximum of partitions so I do not want to reconfigure this setting, I just need more space for data.

Thanks in Advance

D. Mogli
4 REPLIES 4
mstoumba1
Advisor

Re: ML 350 G4p SCSI RAID Controller Question

Well you could attach them to your current array but you would loose the extra space of the 300 gig drives. And yes you can just configure them as a separte array
dmogli

Thanks for your answer!
So if I understand you right, I can use the whole 300 GB Disks (minus the Diskspace for the RAID) if I configure them as a separate Array on the same Controller?
Because this is exactly what I want.

Or buy a SATA PCI-X RAID Controller and use much cheaper SATA Drives, is this also possible, to run both Controllers?

Thanks in Advance

D. Mogli
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> but you would loose the extra space of the 300 gig drives
In general if you replace ALL three existing 146GB disks with 300GB disks, you will see the extra space as unallocated space. You can use create new LUNs on the extra space or expand existing ones. If you expand the existing ones, you need to ensure that in the OS, you can do the same with the disk devices
> if I configure them as a separate Array on the same Controller?
It will be a separate LUN in the same array group.
> Or buy a SATA PCI-X RAID Controller and use much cheaper SATA Drives, is this also possible, to run both Controllers?
You can not use both controllers. Neither you can switch from SCSI to SATA. The SSCI and SATA servers are two separate models. If you are able to convert from one to the other, you not only have to switch from the SCSI to the SATA controller but you have to replace the drive cage. The SCSI and SATA disks are not interchangable.
The SCSI controller/disks have much higher i/o performance than the SATA ones.

TTr
Honored Contributor

> I have three 147GB SCSI drives running in RAID 5 and i am running out of space so I want to buy three 300GB SCSI Seagate Cheetah 15K U320-SCA. Can I just plug them in and configure the RAID-Controller running this three Harddisks extra under RAID 5 or is it only possible to run them under RAID 5 as a whole with the other 147GB HDs?

I just read this more carefully. You can add the 3 new 300GB disks and create a new array. You can not combine it with the old 3 146disk array in the raid card. And since you are NOT using LVM you can not combine the old and new volumes within the OS either.