9437 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

ML 350 G5: server does not switch off but reboots after "shutdown -hf now"

blentes
Frequent Advisor

ML 350 G5: server does not switch off but reboots after "shutdown -hf now"

Hi,

we have a HP ProLiant ML 350 G5 running SLES 11 SP2. If i shutdown the server using "shutdown -hf now" on the console, the server shutdown itself, but immediately starts again and does not switch off. This behaviour is problematic because we shutdown the server with PowerChute Network Shutdown by APC when power is off. But when it reboots instead of shutdown, it is running when the UPS switchs of itself after several minutes, and the server fall down, maybe leaving a corrupte filesystem or database. This is what i try to avoid. SLES 11 SP2 is running the most recent kernel from SuSE, and the server has the newest firmware (D21, 05/02/2011). Also setting BIOS to default does not help.

Thanks for any help.

Bernd

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ML 350 G5: server does not switch off but reboots after "shutdown -hf now"

Hi,

Have you tried the followig commands:

shutdown -h

halt -p

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

blentes
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

i will try it and keep you informed. Also i will try a Linux booted from a live CD (e.g. Knoppix).

Bernd

blentes
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

i tried:

- shutdown -h

- poweroff

- init 0

- halt -p

Always the same. No shutdown, but reboot. I tried knoppix with ambiguous result:

First shutdown: cd tray opened, knoppix says "press return to switch off (i can't remember the exact text)", i pressed return ==> reboot !

Second shutdown: i didn't press enter, but waited 2 minutes to see what knoppix will do ==> Server didn't switch off, health led got amber, nothing further happened. I switched off and on ==> normal reboot.

I'm running out of ideas. Next week i will test with Windows PE to see if these results are clearer.

Or could it be someting wrong configured in the RBSU ?

Thanks for any tip.

Bernd

blentes
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML 350 G5: server does not switch off but reboots after "shutdown -hf now" - SOLVED

Hi,

finally i managed it. I had to deactivate ASR and WOL in the RBSU, now the server shuts down with "shutdown -hf now".

Bernd