ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748218 Members
4336 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML 350 G5 with 2 PSU - suitable UPS ?

AndyLP
Occasional Visitor

ML 350 G5 with 2 PSU - suitable UPS ?

Hello,

This is my first post so please forgive if I make any mistake.

I’d like to apply UPS solution to company server that was last time change to HP ML350 G5 (2 x L5420, 2 x 300GB, 2 x 146GB) with 2 x redundant PSU DPS 800GB.

This is tower version, so I consider only non-rack solution.

Could you give me some hints how to select optimal UPS for this hardware ? Concreate proposal are welcome ;o)

Is it true that UPS should cover more than 2 x max output of particular PSU ? In my case UPS should have at least 2000 W (output power) + true sine wave ?

Thank you,

Andy

4 REPLIES 4
AndyLP
Occasional Visitor

Can anyone share with your experience ?

I'm thinking about APC Smart-UPS 1500VA. Would it be a good choice ? I have some doubts keeping in mind 2 PSU ...

Regards.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

I think APC has a calculator for selecting a UPS:

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/US/en/server/device

I estimated your specs and it recommended Smart-UPS 1500 :-)

Of course, it depends very much on how much run time you want and whether anything else will be connected. We currently use a Smart-UPS 1000 on our ML 350 G6 (single CPU and PSU) and have been happy with the results. The Smart-UPS performs self-diagnostics and after 5 years we are still using the original battery. You will need a free USB port to use monitoring software on the server.

AndyLP
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the answer. I checked this calculator as well, but there is no difference in the result when you choose 1 or 2 number of PSUs ... I think that there is /should be a difference becasue we have ~800W x 2 in case of 2 PSUs. UPS output power is ~1000W.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

The 800W is peak power and not what the system is currently drawing. That depends upon how much memory and the number of drives attached, additional controllers, etc,  For a comparison, our ML 350 has a 750W PSU, single CPU, 4 DIMMS, and 4 HDD attached to the embedded controller. There is also an LCD monitor and external USB HDD attached to the UPS. With the SmartUPS-1000 we are only running at 15% load with an estimated runtime of 90 minutes. If your goal is just to have 30 to 60 minutes of runtime for brief power outages and to have time to do an orderly shutdown, the SmartUPS-1500 should suit your needs. If on the other hand you want hours of runtime you'll need to research extended runtime devices (which will more than double the cost). I am assuming you have backup power on your network infrastructure as well (swictches, routers, etc.)