1753513 Members
5254 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 350 g5 seems to overheat

SOLVED
Go to solution

Three days have passed and our server, having changed the power supply, is absolutely quiet.
Let's wait some other day before lifting the "red alert", but, adding Holger's trouble to it, the conclusion looks one: Achille's heel of this ML 350 g5 server is the power supply!

We had already a minor problem with it; a few days after buying the server October 2008 the power supply became extremely noisy, like an airplane and we asked for a spare part from HP. That's the reason we had a 2nd supply in stock. Now the old and noisy power supply is in place and up to now not noisy and not hot.

The question is: is there a new revised power supply for these servers?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes, now you mention PSU.
There's an old issue on PSU's, and it could be the ML350 G5 is affected.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

A week after changing the PSU absolutely no problem with the server. No doubt the PSU was the cause of the trouble.
But touching the PSU I feel it still hot, not so hot as the previuous, but the PSU of our new ML 350 g6 is quite fresh.
Now, is it better to have a new PSU from HP (after 2 1/2 years should they give it free?).
I searched the HP forums and found a lot of similar troubles with ML350 g5 power supplies: sudden noise, server arrest ... e.g. http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/NOISY-FAN-on-ML350-G5/m-p/4332257#M86822

I've still the doubt: did HP produce a more reliable PSU for the g5? Or is it just a matter of firmware?

gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

There's 3 years warrenty.
So if the PSU is faulty, you will get a new/refurbised/modified.

The 3 year warrenty is from the invoice date.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

holger holst
Occasional Advisor

Hello there
just to keep you informed; finally my server is back (after 8 weeks repair).

the heat problem is for sure a problem of the power supply! in the returned unit they exchanged finally 8 HDD's; DVD rom, Tape player, cable converter, sata cable, redundant fan, sata HD cage, psp backplane and the PSP itself.

on the way to this result they destroyed 4 additional HDD's, 2 backplanes, 2 fans, 2 SPS and another backplane...
YES there is a 3 years warranty and yes, i'm lucky, its still due for 4 month...
So Paolo you should really give your server to HP and they should run full diagnostic, and exchange everything under doubt.
I hope my server will make it; if yes, by by guys, this is my last mail. Thanks again for your support and compassion.

OK, thanks to all of you for help to solve my trouble; only one last question before closing this thread. I noticed the old server ML 350 g5 has a power reading of 157 W, while the new ML 350 g6 has only 58 W! Anf yet the latter is working more now. Is it normal? Has the power efficiency of ML 350 so dramatically improved from g5 to g6? Or there is something else wrong with my old g5?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Well Holger, seems like you got a new server :)

Paolo, I don't know the numbers, but power effincecy is improving, even though performance and workload is increased.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Just when I thought the problem was over, here it is again and doubled!
Yesterday night both server g5 and g6 went down together!
From the iLO 2 log it results a "Server power removed" preceded by a "iLO 2 network link down" (this is something new and at the same time 22:18, what does it mean?); a few hours before a "SSH login failure from:" on both server from the same IP.

Now the only thing I can guess is a hacker attack. Or have You another explanation?

Following is the Log of the old server (the other is similar, but power removed is just at 22:18)

Informational iLO 2
06/14/2011 07:48 06/14/2011 07:48 1
On-board clock set; was previously [NOT SET].

Informational iLO 2
[NOT SET] [NOT SET] 1
Server power restored.

Caution iLO 2 [NOT SET] [NOT SET] 1
Power restored to iLO 2.

Informational iLO 2
06/13/2011 22:42 06/13/2011 22:42 1
Server power removed.

Caution iLO 2
06/13/2011 22:18 06/13/2011 22:18 1
iLO 2 network link down.

Caution iLO 2
06/13/2011 15:21 06/13/2011 15:21 1
SSH login failure from: 85.172.209.59(DNS name not found).

I withdraw everything!
It was just a power problem in our school! Very simple, no hacker.
The SSH login failure was just a failure after all!!

Beg your pardon for the useless post!
And I think I can really close the thread now.