ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753784 Members
6731 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML 350G4p - power failure and won't boot - what am I missing?

pcottam
Occasional Visitor

ML 350G4p - power failure and won't boot - what am I missing?

I have an ML 350 G4p.  Yesterday morning it just powered down without warning - I was doing a clean install of SBS 2003 and at the end of the fourth disk the machine power just went off suddenly.

I have removed the power supplies, swapped them around and used in different configs, removed the cpu fans , the cpus, ram, system board battery and set the maintenance switch 6 to on - all to no avail.

When I connect one power supply, the light on the psu doesn't light up, but the power light on the front of the machine comes on green as does the led power indicator on the main board. There is one red light on the front indicating "external" power failure.

When I connect the second psu - again no green light on psu but now the internal health light shows red as well as the external health light.  The power light stays on as green .  When this second psu is connected, there are then 2 amber lights on the main board indicating PPM1 and PPM2 have failed.

It seems funny that both psu's have failed at the same time as well as both the PPM's.  Has the machine been fried - or is there something I'm missing?

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I guess you have done most of the troubleshooting.

In this situtation I can think of one part that was not swapped is the Power supply backplane.

This part is just behind the power supply and is the only part thats between the system board and power supply.

Good Luck!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pcottam
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I didn't have any extra psu's so I just swapped the two of them around and tried them in different combinations.   Like I said it's strange for them both to fail at the same time! - I'll check out the backplane and see if that works.  If not I'll get a new PSU.

Once again thank you.

pcottam
Occasional Visitor

Supplmentary question please - Can I pull the psu's from the machine and plug them in. If so shoudl the green led on the back of the psu come on?