5910 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 350G5 / 45 mins to boot up

rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

ML 350G5 / 45 mins to boot up

Hi Guy's,

I have a strange problem with a server booting up.

ML 350g5
e200i onboard with raid 5 array
windows 2003 r2
all ms updates
all hp firmware up to date
all hp drivers up to date

server turns on, passes the e200i 1 logical drive found message, then has a black screen for the next 35 mins, then windows startup screen for 1 min then boots into windows.

other than this box taking around 40 mins to boot up the server has no problems at all.

anyone able to help and answer why this server sits with a black screen for 35mins

cheers
4 REPLIES 4
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

first, turn off the server and take out all haddrives then turn it on. it should take the system less than 2 minutes to cycle in PXE mode.

if this happens then, try using hdd from another server into this server, and count the time it takes for booting.

give of both results

regards,
rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the quick update mate.

The server is the only server we have here, it has 1 logical drive using the on board e200i.

we dont have a backup of the array as the client has not been using the tapes so i'm extreamly worried about removing any drives.

We have just had HP out and they have replaced the motherboard but no change ?

I'm worried but removing the drives i could possibly destroy the array ?
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

this servers has an smart array controller with roaming capabilities. this means that arrays created on any smart arrray controller (with this feature) can be read by other smart array controller without the need of user intervention. POST will only show that drive position were moved and it will continue normally.
This works because the array (raid-block size..etc) is written into a sector of the disks called RIS (read information sector). and because this data is written into the disk they do not depend of a controller.

in your case you do not have another server but you can take the drives out, same concept will apply only that in this case, you are using the same controller.

careful, remove and insert the drives only when the server is off (cold procedure).
JeemJeem
Visitor

Did you ever solve this problem?  I am experiencing the same issue with the same model and specs--extremely long boot-up times, but no errors or problems once it has booted up.

Thanks,

JeemJeem