7445 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 370 G2 RAM Upgrade

Brinjal
Occasional Contributor

ML 370 G2 RAM Upgrade

Good Morning

I am trying to upgrade the RAM on my server and have bought 2 x 512 Meg Dimms.

When I add these to the existing 4 x 128 Meg dimms, only half the total RAM is seen by the system.

Please could someone advise if there are any special procedures to follow when upgrading RAM.

Many Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 370 G2 RAM Upgrade

Something like this?

1. Always install memory in pairs of two identical DIMMs.
2. DIMMs installed in the ProLiant ML370 Generation 2 server must be 133-MHz registered SDRAM, 3.3-volts, 72-bits wide, and ECC.
3. Use only Compaq/HP DIMMs. DIMMs from other sources are known to adversely affect data integrity.
4. Do not install DIMM modules supporting different speeds. All DIMMs installed must be the same speed.
5. Install each DIMM into both slots within a single bank (1A with 4A; 2B with 5B; 3C with 6C). To ease successive DIMM installation, upgrade memory by installing DIMM pairs into banks in sequential bank order, starting with bank B.

Slot 1 is the slot closest to the CPU.
Brinjal
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.

The new RAM is per exact specs mentioned, but is made by Kingston.

I have tried the 1+4 2+5 and 3+6 pairing with identical RAM but still we only see half of what is loaded.

Anything else I should be looking at?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I have seen problems using Kingston memory modules in the past. Do they have a HP spare part or model number on them?

However, have you tried to upgrade BIOS on the server?

Last one is version 2004.05.01 and can be found here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279713&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316593&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#12212

It does have some memory related fixes.
Brinjal
Occasional Contributor

The RAM is marked as KTC-G2/512 Kit of 2.

I will also try the BIOS update.

Thanks
Brinjal
Occasional Contributor

Now feel like a complete dummy as I have just seen where I am going wrong.

The two dimms are actually 256 each making a total of 512. I read them as 512 each, making 1 gig.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

:) Easy fix :p

As you're new on the forum don't forget to give points for effort :p
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

I would add that I've had much better luck with Crucial or Corsair-brand DIMMs in servers. Kingston, for whatever reason, seems to do well enough in desktops, but their server performance has dipped in the last few years.

Happy tweaking.
Got Qwoob?