6035 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 370 G2 Tape drive configuration

Sivasingam Santhakumar
Frequent Advisor

ML 370 G2 Tape drive configuration

Hi Gurus,

I recently took control of a ML370 G2 server for a customer DR system. I am now trying to attach a Compaq 35/70 GB DLT tape drive to it. Tape drive is on slot 5 of PCI 1. System is configured with W2K on Compaq Smart Array 5i. How could I make the system the tape drive?

Any help appriciated.

Thanks
Siva
9 REPLIES 9
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Siva,

What help you require as if now. which controller drive is connected to. Is the drive detecting at post. Are able to see drive at OS. Do you used any daignostics report for same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nadeem Afzal_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Siva,

First of all pls. explain have u using any special controller for attaching the DLT or using embeded SCSI Controller channel for this purpose. If u r using extra controller card for DLT then u should first check Driver for this controller and then it will possible for the system to recongnised ur DLT Drive.

Nadeem
Sivasingam Santhakumar
Frequent Advisor

Prasant & Nadeem,

I received the box, tape drive and the SCSI card separatly. I put the SCSI card in the PCI segment 1 solt 5. Then I connected the tape drive. That's all I did.

Thanks
Siva
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1)Is the drive detecting at the post. Y/N
2)Is drive detecting at OS. Y/N
3)Do we Daignos the drive using L&TT if it is detecting at post.Y/N
4)What is problem with drive. What you have told is you have connected the drive. But what is the exact problem?

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Sivasingam Santhakumar
Frequent Advisor

Prasant,

Sorry due to the holidays I didn't look at it. I did some work on it:

1. Downloaded AHA-2944W driver from ADPTEC web site for PCI-SCSI Host adapter and reinstalled windows with the driver.

2. Windows now listing the card under SCSI section in device manager. Deatils:
Location 5 (PCI bus 1, device 4, function 0)

I have connected (only the cable)the tape drive ( Compaq 35/70 GB DLT ) externally, how could I make WIndows to see the tape drive.

Thanks again
Siva

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Windows will take the drive itself to work with where as Look under managae screen then work out. Where as better will be use the l&tt from
hp.com/support/tapetools

Use the attached presention help you to to reouble shoot
Nothing is impossible
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

If I understand the problem is this: The O.S. detect SCSI Card, but not detect TAPE.

Well, when you boot, there is a tool to manage Adaptec SCSI Card (Crtl + A) then you must see the tape, if you don├В┬┤t see the tape:
-could be a SCSI Address problem (using a SCSI in use, 7 usually is for Card)
-Check SCSI Cable
-Check you are using same SCSI tech (SE, FW, etc..)
-The Tape is OK?

If it see the tape... then Disk Administrator...

Jor
Sivasingam Santhakumar
Frequent Advisor

Prasant,

I have tried hp_ltt it can't recognise my tape drive. I have attached my device manager screen shots. Hope it might give you an idea.

Jorge,

You are right my ML370 can see the PCI-SCSI card but not the tape drive connected to that card. In SCSI-Select all set to default as per
Adaptec documentation.

Thanks again
SIva
Sivasingam Santhakumar
Frequent Advisor

I have ordered a new VHDCI cable to connect to the on board SCSI card. I will let you know.