Patrick Meloy
Occasional Contributor

ML 370 G3 no controller

Hello,
ML 370 G3, 3.2GHz x 2
4 36GB drives on slots 0-3 on Port 1
SCSI backplane on Port 1
Internal HP Tape drive on Port 2

Trying to install NetWare 6.5 on unconfigured machines. Brought to me with LSI Ultra320 PCI-X/133 2 Ch. SCSI adapter in the 133 slot. After ILO F8 offer it goes into multi-initiator mode, bypassing the configuration of the controller with array and logical drive. After multi init. It goes straight to Ctrl-s offer and F9, F10, and F11 then on to continue to boot. I removed the LSI adapter but it is still going to multi initiator mode. Smart Start 7.30 picks port 1 and one drive as the boot device but ACU and Array Diag. Report do not detect any supported controllers in my system. So it installs on a single drive.

I know I'm doing something wrong. I mostly work on DL 380s. What do I need to do to create a RAID 5 array on the embedded controller and install NetWare? Then I need to put the LSI card back for an external tape device.

Pat Meloy
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 370 G3 no controller

LSI Ultra320 PCI-X/133 2 Ch. is a regular SCSI controller and won't support RAID trough Hardware, DL380 comes with Build in Array Controller, where you can use F8 to create Array. (ADU or Array Config Util.)
For ML370 G3 you need SA64x or SA640x (SA5300) Controller for HW RAID

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/index.html
Patrick Meloy
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your help. The LSI card is to attach an external tape device later. It is currently removed.

I want to set up the RAID array with the embedded controller in the ML 370. Does it have an integrated controller? The RBSU talks about a Compaq 64-bit 66MHz Dualwide Ultra 3 SCSI Adapter Port 1 and Port 2. It uses port 1 and 1 of the hard drives as the "boot device" when I use smart start to load NetWare, but no way to make it an array. ACU does not "detect any supported controllers.

Thank you again,

Pat Meloy
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor
Solution

The ML370 G3 does not have an integrated Smart Array controller. You will need to get a PCI option. The embedded controller is a plain SCSI controller and can be used for JBOD. The other option is to configure SW raidâ ¦although a Smart Array controller is strongly recommended.
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Patrick Meloy
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both,
I thought all integrated controllers were smart. I thought it was something systematic like that, but I didn't know what.

Pat Meloy