4577 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML 370 G5 BSOD, Freezes,Crashes when doing backup

johnwanderson
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have checked the compatibility on HP website previously and because the LTO 3 is not HP (It is a Quantum LTO3 Half Height TCL32BX)They will not guarantee it is compatible while quantum say the LTO3 is compatible with an Adaptec 29160 (this combination worked fine in a Dell poweredge)but so far not this model HP
The scsi controller is now working with the Quantum with Cable in another third party server

Just to say i did note that since having the backup on another server It does not crash as regularly with the remote agent now
I have excluded some pst files from the backup which you could see in the backup log that the server was crashing when backing these files up

I will wait to see tonight whether or not the server crashes and if not Put the controller and unit back onto the HP server and backup excluding the pst files to see what result i get
Again the RAID1 c:drive of 146gb of the server always backs up ok regardless of amount of data and it would always crash when starting the RAID5 d:drive which has 420gb of diskspace using around 190gb
About 80 gbs of this are backup pst files for around 50 users

I will let you know how i get on
Thank you all for your help

Regards

John
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hi, the Adaptec card let's say is out of the question since is a non supported card in the server, so any BSOD caused when in use of said card will not be supported. This applies also to any TAPE device not listed in the compatible options for the server.

In the other hand, this little friend the HP SC11Xe is well known for causing not only BSODs but also causing some servers not to power on at all. I have dealt with it in the past.

The best thing to do here is to get rid of that card and use the following instead 64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2 374654-B21

There is a FW version for the bad boy if you wanna give it a last chance. It is located here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3191201&swItem=MTX-4f16c14c1aa54618a879868cd2&prodNameId=3191202&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

Also there is a updated driver at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3191201&prodNameId=3191202&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-7dbe36462d5c490e89abc5cff0

Thanks and I hope this can solve your problem.

\RaMpaNTe

PS: say thanks with points :)
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
johnwanderson
Occasional Advisor

I have the latest firmware and drivers for the sc11ex installed
I had tried also a HP branded LSI Logic 20320 SCSI controller and the HP guys said it was a Raid controller but it had the same effect on the system as the other HP SC11 Ex

The latest comment from HP was to disable ASR which i have done, so iam waiting for a crash

What i would like to know now is if the ASR is disabled Will the server reboot after its next crash as i dont have a good backup of the system state yet and am worried that it may require a rebuild

Again this is a live production server so please let me know the consequences

Regards

John
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

ASR stands for Automatic Server Recovery and it has a threshold of 10 minutes, so if the server freezes for more than 10 minutes of if there is any other problem the ASR reboots the server so it won't be stuck for a long time.

By disabling the ASR in the next crash you will be able to "see" what caused the crash by checking the event logs IML and others.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Bobby Campbell_1
Occasional Contributor

I have had the exact same problem on a load of G5 servers. The fix we used was changing the page file to a fixed size and only on 1 disk. It generally always happened on backup !
johnwanderson
Occasional Advisor

There is 4gb of ram in this server and the page file is set to 4096 to 4096
Can you recommend the size of the pagefile as i would be interested in trying this

From last mail
Just a note to say Excluding pst files did not make any difference The srever froze over again and it had to be physically switched off and there was no mini dump file for that day
The hp engineer has now asked for a kernel dump file which we are now waiting for server to freeze again
Will keep you posted

I also created the data file requested earlier and it didnt seem to freeze

Your thoughts please

Regards

John
johnwanderson
Occasional Advisor

The latest details are
I have the SCSI Controller and Tape Unit in a third party server and am running backups using Arcserve 11.1 with latest service packs and hotfixes with remote agent on four other Dell servers and the HP ML370G5 in question
The backup agent backs up all other servers without any problems
The remote agent will never fail backing up HP ML370 G5 Raid 1 Logical drive which is the c:\drive-
Again this in a P200 Raid controller with 128mb BBWC
Somewhere through the backup of the HP Server d:\drive (Again this is a 2nd logical Drive in a Raid 5 formation with 4 x146gb Disks)
The server will freeze (No keyboard,mouse or task manager) Push button for 10 seconds reboot is required As a result no minidump or as requested by hp engineer kernel memory dump is not created I have sent the HP Engineer on the Insight Management Logs for viewing but he hasn't any ideas as yet

Any assistance would be appreciated
Maybe more information regarding Page files or p200 issues

Regards

John
johnwanderson
Occasional Advisor

Just to let you know the latest

I changed the memory in the server and also changed the pagefile size
I also disabled all the HP programs in the services tab in the control panel to see if that would make a difference
Again We got one good backup but the server froze again on friday nights backup

I will be putting the rebuilt DELL back in place tomorrow night with the view to wiping the HP server and rebuilding it
Any other thoughts since

Regards

John
dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

We ran into a similar issue with both an ML350G4p and a ML370G4 using the HP Ultra320 controller that is based on the LSI chipset. We did alot of troubleshooting, including reloading the server, replacing the tape drive, tapes, scsi cable and controller.

Finally we built another new box, patched via Windows Updates, installed KB932755, then installed the Ultra320 card into it, followed by BackupExec 12. We were able to get successful backups, but then we discovered we were using the generic Microsoft LSI SYMPCI.SYS driver for the Ultra320 card. As soon as we loaded both CP008498 (lsi_scsi.sys - 2007.02.09), we started getting backup errors again.

After doing some Googling, we found a Symantec forum posting detailing the issue, and stating there is a bug with the current HP scsi drivers and that you need to use the generic Microsoft drivers. Rolling back the driver to the Microsoft driver solved our problem.

When we had previously reloaded our servers in the troubleshooting process, the Ultra320 controller was in the servers, and when we ran the PSP setup, it installed the HP drivers. As we didn't have a spare Ultra320 controller, we built our test box first, then pulled the controller out of a production box, but we forgot to re-apply the PSP, so that is how it ended up with the generic Microsoft driver instead of CP008498's driver.

dcc