Did you mean: 

ML 530 Drive cages connection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor

ML 530 Drive cages connection

Hi,

I have ML530 server with two SCSI drive cages installed in it, and I am using 8 disks. Smart Array controller is 6402

This week I received a new MSA 20 array, which I want to attach to my SA 6402.

The problem is that I already have both channels used. (for internal cages)

I have heard that where is a soliution to connect both cages to one SCSI channel, but I can't find any documentation.

And another problem, how my old array will react if I will use all my disks on one channel, because I have two arrays configured to spread disk to both SCSI chanels.
4 disk with RAID 1+0 connected like this:
2 disks is on Channel A
2 disks is on Channel B

Looking forward for your advise

6 REPLIES
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 530 Drive cages connection

Hi Adas

You may connect two cages in daisy chain configuration on one channel. Probably SCSI cable with two ports will be required. Before doing so take backup of array on channel B (assumed to be no-system disk), remove the array from configuration and then connect both cages on one channel. Make sure SCSI IDs of disks on channel B are different than on channel A .Run ACU to add additional disks.

Second channel is free now for MSA connectivity

Regards
Mahesh

Regards
Mahesh
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would recommend against trying this. Each drive cage has it's own termination so getting both cages to be seen off of the same SCSI bus will be, at a minimum, difficult, if not impossible.

This is not a configuration which HP will support. If you do have problems with this and call in to support they'll tell you the same.

What you can do is get the expansion module option for this controller (273911-B21).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for advise, but I need more information before working it out.

1. Is simple SCSI cable will work, or do I need something from HP, because in the server I only have two cables (blue and yellow) both have only two connectors one is for SA and one is for the cage.

2. Maybe it will work if I will use one cable to connect one cage to another and the second cable will connect to SA?
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor

I think I agree with Terry, connecting these two cages could be to difficult and it could cause more problems with my old configuration.

Thanks for advise I will purchase an expansion
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

1. There is no cable available from HP for this since it's "not supported". You can call or email in to make sure.

2. The aren't enough connectors on the cages for this option.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor

I think I can close this thread because if HP doesn't support such actions it would be to high risk of doing it with a though that this might avoid a warranty. And expansion will increase channels even for feature