1752350 Members
6073 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 Create Raid1 Mirror

dlevans

ML110 Create Raid1 Mirror

Hi,

I have an ML110 G2 with two identical 120 GB SATA hard drives currently installed but not on the built in RAID controller. One of the drives contains my operating system (Win2003).

I would like to create a mirror of the drive containing the operating system to the other. Can I attach both drives to the RAID controller and create an array without loosing the data?

If I can't do this then I will configure my drives as dynamic and make a software mirror but if I could I would really like to use hardware raid...

Cheers,

David Evans
4 REPLIES 4
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hi David!
The simpliest way is using embedded controller...
Look here for supported SATA controllers
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12161_div/12161_div.html
For your situation order HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller (372953-B21)
dlevans

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

If I connect the disk with the operating system to the embedded raid controller what do I need to do though to ensure that it will still boot? I'm guessing it won't if I just add it to a raid array and it worries me that the process might be irreversible if something goes wrong...

Sorry, I'm a bit green in this area!

Many thanks,

David Evans
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hmm... The first rule is "Don't experiment on production environment". The SATA controller for non-hot plug is integrated on the system board and provides four connectors. As I know you must enable RAID functionality in BIOS and then create mirror in OS(!) environment using SATA RAID utility: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23531.html
Building mirror on OS enviroment is the safety way in your case
dlevans

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice! I've got to admit this whole affair has been quite a learning experience in best practices for me.

Thanks again,

David