ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6086 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G2 NHP SATA bigger than 80GB possible?

Claus_14

ML110 G2 NHP SATA bigger than 80GB possible?

Hi!

Does the ML110 G2 Server with onboard 4 port S-ATA controller support hard disk drives bigger 80GB?
HP only provides 80GB drives but I would like to build in 250GB drives (bought e.g. from Maxtor). Is there a limitation to 80GB each for the onboard controller? :/
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

There is no limitation. The same controller is used in the hotplug drive models and those drives are available with capacities up to 250 GB.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Claus_14

Thank you, sounds good :)

I thought the 4 port non HotPlug controller is onboard and the HotPlug one is an PCI card? If so there could be a difference?

My server quit today and I have to buy another one on Monday. As I probably will not have a 14 day return I have to be sure.

Thanks in advance! :)
Bart Van Cutsem
Advisor

We have bought 2 hot plug models and they came with an Adaptec 2610SA SATA hardware raid controller. This has 6 SATA ports and I don't understand why HP doesn't use a 4 port model. Funnier, Adaptec doesn't sell this card in retail, only 4 - 8 - 12 - 16 port versions. The difference with the onboard SATA raid interfaces is this controller implements hardware assisted raid. It has its own Intel I/O controller and supports raid 5. Onboard is limited to raid 0/1/0+1 and is implemented in BIOS and driver software (fake raid).