ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752793 Members
6083 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G2 SATA Disk problem

Andrew Teece

ML110 G2 SATA Disk problem

I have recently tried adding a new Maxtor 300gb SATA2 disk to my system.

The BIOS see's the disk correctly, however windows refuses to recognise this.

I have tried the disk in two other servers (Dell's) and it works perfectly.

SATA2 disks are supposed to be fully backwards compatible with SATA1.

I have also replaced the SATA cable.

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I used a Promise Host Bus Adapter to add 2 SATA disks to my ML110 G2 in a RAID-1 configuration. It only cost about $70, bought from HP.

Now I have the Operating System on the original 80GB disk and my Data on the dual-disk RAID array, where I hope it is stored safely.

When I built my system I used SATA-1 disks and Controller - now I would look for SATA-2 components.

Andrew Teece

Thanks, but that isnt what i want to do.

I appreciate that i could do it with an external SATA card, infact i already have a Silicone Image card (├В┬г15 - NOT from HP) running 2 SATA 250gb disks.

My problem is that i have a working disk, that should be compatible, but isnt working. And i want to know why, so i can fix it.

Working around the problem by buying hardware I dont need isnt what i want to do. For all i know, the SATA port on my motherboard might be broken, in which case i would want it fixing before my warrenty runs out!
e4services
Honored Contributor

If the BIOS of the SATA controller reports the 300GB device upon loading, then it is not the hardware with issues. Since Windows does not report the logical device then there must be a Windows driver issue or there is no logical drive that has been created by the controller to report to windows.

Things I would do to troubleshoot:
Verify the 300GB drive is properly configured by entering the SATA controllers BIOS. In Windows, verify that the controller is reported in the Device Manager of Windows, under SCSI and RAID controllers. See if the logical drive shows under Disk Drives of the Device Manager. Make sure you have the latest driver for the controller loaded, if so, reload it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Andrew Teece

That is pretty much the conclusion that i have come to aswell. I have spoken to Maxtor support, who say that it must be a driver issue with the Adaptec Embedded SATA Controller, and HP support who refuse to support their motherboard because i am not connecting it to a HP hard-disk.

The 300gb drive is configured in the SATA controller BIOS as just another drive, and is seen perfectly, and the drive passes the SATA controller's test/diagnostic.

In Windows, the controller is detected (it also run the primary boot drive).

We also have the HP Storage Manager utility installed, which should show the same configuration as the SATA BIOS, but this utility only sees the primary boot drive also.

As far as i can tell, we have the latest driver. HP's driver is VERY old (and is the one we have installed), and as it is embedded, i cannot find one from Adaptec
raadek
Honored Contributor

Looking at the capacity the hard drive is a non-HP one. I suspect that might cause the trouble.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Andrew Teece

It is a non-hp one.

HP support tried telling me that they make harddisks!!!

I have repeatedly asked what make/model disk there part number corresponds to, because they want ├В┬г250+ for 250gb disk. I paid <├В┬г100 for this 300gb disk!

As i KNOW the disk is fully working, but HP are refusing to support their motherboard's SATA controller, i am speakign with trading standards in the UK as to what support HP must provide, but any suggestions from this forum as to fixes for problems with the onboard controller having compatibility problems with disk hardware are appreciated.
raadek
Honored Contributor

As far as I am concerned a HP drive has specific firmware - hence although it looks like a 'standard' HDD, in fact it is not.

And - yes - HP charges large premium for options. But the bottom line is, if you want a peace of mind, you simply have to use supported options.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Andrew Teece

My problem is, that if HP only support HP hardidks on their SATA controller, they shouldnt call it a SATA controller, maybe a "HP Propriatory Disk Expansion Port".

If it IS an SATA controller, they should support it as such. ie, It should be compatible with any SATA hard disk.

If i purchase an Adaptec RAID controller, i dont expect to buy Adaptec hard disks! And I expect Adaptec to support that controller, especially once it has been proven that the hard disk is fully working with other hardware