1753913 Members
8625 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G2 Series nightmare

slytheman
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G2 Series nightmare

Well 1 month ago I bought a CPU Upgrade for my ML110 G2 Server. I had originally a pentium 4 3.2GHZ which worked fine. I dropped a Pentium 4 670 3.8ghz and I found out that it's running at 2.8GHZ instead of 3.8GHZ I was kinda upset because the chip cost me close to 800.00 canadian. I called HP to say that the chip is not detecting the chip processor properly. They say that the server will only support up to a 3.4GHZ According to the HP Proliant ML110 Generation 2 Server Maintenance and Service Guide Feb 2005 Edition on Page 5-6 it says that the ML110 G2 Series Server will in fact take a Pentium 4 3.8ghz with 1mb 800 bus. SO I said to myself maybe it's because the chip is 2mb cache instead of 1mb and the 670 has the em64t Technology. SO I said I will get a regular Pentium 4 3.8ghz 1MB L2 cache non em64t CPU
I again I spend about 700 canadian for a Pentium 4 570J Basic CPU and I pop it in and do you know what... The same thing still. I was so mad I felt like throwing the dam Server across the room. A Basic Pentium 4 3.8GHZ CPU at 1mb running at 2.8GHZ. What the hell is going on here. I never ever had problem with a Dell Poweredge like I have with this HP. I had enough of this Server. I spend to much money on this dam server and nobody tell me that it's the memory because
it's not. I called HP like I was saying earlier and the tech support told me to wait till the next bios upgrade. Common man the next time a bios upgrade will come out my CPU will be Obselete. I have the lastest Bios update DEC 2005. I GIVE UP!!!!!!!
10 REPLIES 10
Jaragon
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML110 G2 Series nightmare

your server supports ONLY 2.8 Celeron or 3.2, 3.4 P4, the server is not made for other procs so I doubt that it would ever recognize this one properly, this server comes with a factory proc meaning the other procs are not meant to be interchangeable between servers.....
slytheman
Occasional Advisor

According to the book of Maintenance and Service Guide Feb 2005 The P4 3.8ghz should be working in the ML110 G2 server with no problem. SO don't say that it doesn't support it because your wrong buddy
slytheman
Occasional Advisor

According to the book of Maintenance and Service Guide Feb 2005 The P4 3.8ghz should be working in the ML110 G2 server with no problem. SO don't say that it doesn't support it because your wrong buddy.
It's listed in the Maintenance and Service Guide
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

NOTE: User Guide does list 3.8 / 800 ├в 1M, along that my I ask you what Part number you used?

If company announces future support for such and such processor, they will probably back you up with part number that you needed. Local resellers they usually know what is available as optional parts. I guess all procs have specific code that has to be supported by System ROM and it should be coded to it. If proc sold formally trough reseller├в s channels for specified system that would indicate a newer System ROM firmware also available.

slytheman
Occasional Advisor

According to the book of Maintenance and Service Guide Feb 2005 The P4 3.8ghz should be working in the ML110 G2 server with no problem. SO don't say that it doesn't support it because your wrong buddy.
It's listed in the Maintenance and Service Guide
Also the ML110 g2 has the an Intel E7221
chipset that supports the 3.8GHZ easy
so the problem is not the PC it's the bios that needs an upgrade to detect these CPU properly
slytheman
Occasional Advisor

I don't understant the part number
I search the HP Web site for part number for the CPU's and found nothing on 3.4.
What is the difference between a HP CPU and A Retail CPU?
Nothing.
A P4 570J is a regular P4 3.8GHZ 800MHZ bus with the required voltage..and it doesn't work.

SO I decided to get rid of this HP Proliant Server and GO back and stay with DELL that I never had any problems in the begining!!!!!!
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hello, Quick specs will clarify all your concerns.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12161_na/12161_na.HTML

This is what the quick specs says:
What's New

* Supports Intel Pentium 4 Processor. 3.20 GHz supporting HyperThreading technology with un-buffered ECC memory and 800MHz front-side-bus.
* Supports Intel Pentium 4 Processor. 3.40 GHz supporting HyperThreading technology with un-buffered ECC memory and 800MHz front-side-bus.
* Supports Intel Celeron Processor. 2.80 GHz supporting HyperThreading technology with un-buffered ECC memory and 533MHz front-side-bus.
* Supports Intel Pentium 4 Processor. 3.0 GHz supporting HyperThreading technology with un-buffered ECC memory and 800MHz front-side-bus.

Which is the same you read in the Manual, even though the server CAN support the mentioned processors this can be done ONLY by FACTORY INTEGRATION, meaning that if someone wants any of those processors he/she should have to order them as desired so that from factory the server will come with the desired processor.

If you take a look at the following link http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12161_na/12161_na.HTML#Options Which is the supported list of options; there ARE NO processors listed, meaning that NO ML110 G2 can be upgraded or downgraded in the processors matter.

The quick specs date is from December 5, 2005. Tha being said, I would disagree of what the Maintenance and Service Guide can say about it, Here is a link to the mentioned service guide, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00302239/c00302239.pdf I'm pretty sure that what you are making referece to, is the page 87, which I quote here "The server├в s Intel LGA775 processor socket supports Celeron D and Pentium 4 processors employing the 90 nm process technology." Well, true BUT it will support those processors ONLY by factory integration. I hope this can clarify your concern.

Thank You
RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
slytheman
Occasional Advisor

RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hold on a seccond, there's no need to yel at us, as you said: "OK Then why is in this web page the ML100 G2 takes a 3.6GHZ
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF04a/12146350-12146352-12146638-
12146638-12146640.html"

As I explained you, FACTORY INTEGRATION, that's the only way this server can support that processor, if you order it from factory, THERE IS NO OPTION NUMBER for any processor, because the server's processors CAN'T be upgraded.

You said: " YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!!! " ... well my friend if that is your point of view, fine, but let me remind you that your are speakig with an Experienced, Server Support Engineer Level III, and yes I work for HP that's why I'm 100% of what I told you in the past. It's your desition wheter if you belive me or not, I'm just trying to help as much as I can, and I'll be continuing to do so.

Thank you very much.

BTW I'm sorry you took the desition to sell a good server just for a missunderstanding.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!