ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751687 Members
5690 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G2 and UPS problem

Alchemy

ML110 G2 and UPS problem

Ok, so here's the problem. A few days ago we bought ML100 G2 server and UPS, which is connected to this server through embedded serial cable. My OS is linux Fedora Core 4 with WinPower software used to shutdown server after specified period of time in case of AC power failure. Software shipped with this ups works well and it shutdowns server exactly as I want. After 1 minute without power load ups goes to sleep mode and turns on when AC power is back. The problem is that there are only 2 power modes in server's bios - "Last state" and "Power off". "Power off" turns server only when power button is pressed. "Last state" of course remebers last state of AC power state and this is the problem. When software shipped with ups turns server off the last state of server is off and even after power back server remains off. My simple workaround is to use WOL function from LAN workstation in case of power back, but I think this is not the case. Any ideas ?
5 REPLIES 5
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

I am looking into this. I know in windows and Novell there is a patch that can be applied to prevent ACPI from powering down the system to an off state. What we need it to do is just halt all the processes and not actually turn off until the UPS powers the loadsegment back on, that way the last known state is actually on.
Let me see what I can find but I welcome all Linux assistance.
I am not familiar with WinPower or how it initiates the shutdown. Since I am not a linux expert perhaps you can do a customer runlevel or modified runlevel to force the server not to actualy shutdown? Just a thought.
Alchemy

First of all thank you for your reply. Halting all processes is also not the case. Why ? Because there is a command "halt" in linux which exactly halts all processes and stops the server without power off. The problem is that because there is still load on ups (server is working) it doesn't go into sleep mode but holds power until battery is completly empty. If power failure time is long enough to empty ups's battery that's ok, beacuse it will turn off server anyway and the last state of server will be "on" so after power back it will boot again. The problem still exists if power failure time is not long enough to empty ups's battery. In this case there is no power interruption and the server remains halted even after AC power back. There should be "Always On" function in bios like in all modern servers. To be honest I don't see any simple solution for that problem. I think I'll stay with WOL function from LAN which is maybe not so elegant, but works quite good.
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

Just curious as to what UPS you have. All of HPs UPSs follow their instructed runtimes and shutdown procedures and do not remain on if a load is detected. The UPS expects a load as it is always possible to have un-monitored hardware attached like a network switch, external storage, etc.
Alchemy

After few hours of testing I can honestly say that I was wrong. There is some kind of smartness in this UPS which is Mustek PowerMust 2000 USB. This is not one of the top and well known models but I also had APC Smart-UPS 1500 in case of failure. Before halting my server (not power off) system sends somehow signal to ups and after one minute ups cuts off the power to server. If power returns while system is in halt mode, ups reboots after one minute. Ups also passed my torture test - cut off and immediately plug in AC power during system shutdown. I had to properly configure bundled software which was not so easy because of lack of documentation and support. This is obvious disadvantage, but on the other hand it is more than half cheaper than similar APC product. Anyway thank You for trying to help me. This X-file is closed. :)
Alchemy

I have found a solution to this question