108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G3 - Red health LED woes

Neil Kay
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G3 - Red health LED woes

Hi,

Here's the scenario:

The server has been running (Linux) for many years. Current uptime was about 30 days following a reboot after a software upgrade, but I cannot remember the last time the server was powered down to cold - probably about 6-8 months ago when it was moved.

The server was shut down to add a second Xeon 2.8 processor.

When the server was restarted, both processors were found, but the system reported it could not detect the second CPU fan and rebooted. It did this three times stopped rebooting and the red health LED has come on.

I have removed the second CPU and fan but the system still shows the red LED and I cannot get any POST to start - no beeps or anything on the screen. I have stripped the system back to just the CPU and 1 (and also 0) stick of RAM but no difference.

At this time I can only guess that the PSU or motherboard has died unless there is some way of resetting the system in case it's still looking for CPU2 (I have tried DIP switch 6 to clear the settings)?

The status LEDs on the motherboard show AC power is good but the CPU1, CPU2, CPU1 fan, CPU2 fan and PPM status LEDs are glowing *faint* amber (this is what makes me wonder about the PSU).

Does anyone have any great suggestions - for example, is there a UK source of compatible PSUs because the spares I have found by Googling are coming in at $250-$300+ and that's about 1/2 the cost of a new barebones server.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

to reset to default settings
(use the original configuration 1 CPU, 1 memory DIMM)

- disconnect power cable
- try removing the battery
- turn on server
- leave it On for 2 minutes
- Turn OFF
- put the battery back
- and check gain LEDs and video

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Neil,

It can't be an ML110 G3 as all of the ML110 models are single CPU units.

Can you check the model again please and you might get more help to identify the problem.

Thanks,

Brian
Jimmy Basra
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have the same problem, but i didnt add anything to server, i just shot down the server from remote access than remove the server from rack

when i put it back since than its doing the same no post no beep CPU fault LED is amber
Neil Kay
Occasional Advisor

Hi Brian,

Apologies - I got the model number mixed up with our other Proliant - this one's an ML330 - from our order:

Proliant Ml330 G3 T03 Xeon Dp 2800-512/533 M40 Ata Non-hp Backplane Ata 40GB 256MB
Neil Kay
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

As a further side-note to this: the fan I used for CPU 2 had only a 3-wire lead, connected as:

GND|Sensor|+V

whereas the motherboard connector is

GND|GND|SENSOR|+V.

I hooked the fan's connector over the three rightmost pins, but the fan did not turn and was not detected so I presume that the leftmost GND is the important one(?)

The CPU 1 fan has a 3-wire lead but at the connector there is 4-pin socket with a jumper wire between the two GND pins to fully mate with all 4 motherboard pins. I was hoping the double GND connection was not essential but it guess it may be.

The puzzling thing is that all the Xeon fans I can source have only the 3-wire lead so would I most likely be OK to replicate the CPU 1 fan wiring for #2 by fitting a 4-pin connector and strapping the two GNDs together or are the 4-pin fans specxific to HP?

Thanks again.

Neil Kay
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Just tried Karlo's suggestion to reset the settings - no go.

I found a compatible (I hope!) PSU for ├В┬г25 and it should arrive today for testing.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

i don't think jumpering the two grounds will resolve your problem. At he MB-socket the two grounds will allready be connected. But the two contacts provision for the fan and the sensor to have seperate leads to the MB.

try connecting the fan to a separate power source (just v+ and gnd)to see if it functions.

The power LED is explained as "AC power" wich suggests it only indicates AC power is present, but gives no indication about the low voltage output of the PSU.
You could check this with if you have a VA-meter.
Remember the psu ALLWAYS supplies minimal power to the MB and the power-switch just gives a signal to the MB to start the real power-on sequence.
This explains the "faint amber" glowing of the LED's (the system is NOT on).
It could be possible connector-10 (close to the battery) at the MB has come loose and has to be reseated.
Neil Kay
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. New PSU installed today and the server's still dead. Any other suggestions welcome otherwise I'm stripping it for parts!
fubar_1

Hi Neil,

I've got the same problem with an ML330 G3 after trying to install a second CPU using a 3 pin fan.

Did you find a solution?