108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G4 Raid Setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Zahn
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G4 Raid Setup

I have a ML 110 G4 with the 82801GR chipset and I am trying to load windows 2003 server. I go into BIOS to change the IDE configuration to advanced but the option is not available. It just lists all the drives.

I can install the operating system without the raid. How do you set this up do I need a newer BIOS version?
THe description says it comes with HP Embedded 4 Port SATA Controller with embedded RAID
Very frustrated.
16 REPLIES 16
tripper91
Frequent Advisor

hi ian

to see whether its possible to install the OS without raid, boot up the server with smartstart. Then follow to prompts till you come to the smartstart homepage. from there its will tell you the boot controller and the boot controller size e.g. boot controller: 4 port sata host bus adapter, boot size: 120gb.

good luck
Ian Zahn
Occasional Advisor

I can install int with out raid but I want to install with the raid.
When I boot the server it doesn't give me CRTL S or anything to configure the embedded raid.
I haven't added any cards just out of the box.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well ML110 G4 does not support SmartStart Cd
100 series in general

but during POST press Ctrl + A or F8
to configure your Array

and to load the drivers for that controller download this driver(during Windows installation)
HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html

or see my attached file, if you want to use nlite that is an application that will help you installing windows(unattended installation)

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Karlo is right, Smartstart is not supported on the 100 series.
You can enter the SATA Configuration Utility with "Ctrl+I" or with f8. Here is why : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00911913&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Depending on that you need 2 different drivers:
When you access it with F8 : http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html

When with Ctrl+i , i can send you the driver if you want, can't find link.

You can make RAID 0 and the install the OS.
If this is not what you are asking about, please explain where you get problems with the install.

Kind regards

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

great advisory

so it's necessary download a utiltiy to enable F8

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I installed a hardware RAID Controller and added 2 extra SATA disks to create a RAID-1 store that is fail-safe. ( Today I would use the Promise TX2300 at about $70 ).

I only put the Operating System on to the original single disk.

I only put Data on to the RAID drive.

There are 4 advantages to this:

1. The hardware RAID drive starts the moment the power is on and is virtually independent of the rest of the computer. It has excellent RAID Array Manager software.

2. You could move the RAID disks and Controller card to another computer in minutes

3. The Windows Swap File and the Data are on 2 separate drives, so the overall system performance is improved.

4. You can rebuild and upgrade the Operating System or re-format the original single disk without disturbing your Data.

I keep working Data on my workstation and I have a backup utility to copy complete files and folders over to the RAID-1 drive on the server as they change.

- Belt & Braces
- LOCKS ( Lots of Copies Keep Safe )

This way I am storing personal Data and family photographs going back to 1984.

Not a very expensive solution and it is very very effective.

Hope that this helps you
Ian Zahn
Occasional Advisor

I have perform the reenable of the F8 or Ctrl-A function but I do not get this option POST to select the array configuration.

There was no error on resetting but it didn't say that the bios was changed.

Any help much appreciated
erwinfeb

Hi Ian,
By default if you have only 1 hard disk it will be setup with RAID 0 automatic.

Try to use usb floppy disk, and when you boot from CD (after Blue screen appears) press F6 and insert driver to floppy disk.

Ian Zahn
Occasional Advisor

Ok, I have not been able to get the ctrl A or F8 function to work. I can install windows with the drivers by pressing F6.

I have used this I can Mirror after windwos is installed but I htink this is a software mirror not hardware. All the raid I have configured are ususally by configuring on POSt with ctrl A or similar. If anyone has any other ideas thanks. Thanks for your help but I cannot see how I'm going to get this to be configured correctly.