1748233 Members
3494 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G4 SEL Event "lower critical going low, assertion" [what ?]

David Cahill
Occasional Contributor

ML110 G4 SEL Event "lower critical going low, assertion" [what ?]

I have a G4 that [recently] tends to "fall over" [i.e. it will shut-down but not fully - almost seems like it is going in to stand-by] .. This occurs at random times BUT always a 10 min's past the hour .. SBS2003Premium event records only the unexpected shut-down ..

SEL shows the following:

SEL Record Type: 02 - System Event Record,
Generator ID: 20 00,
SEL Message Rev: 04,
Sensor Type: 02 - Voltage,
Sensor Number: 3A - CPU vCore,
SEL Event Type: 01 - Threshold, Event Description: Lower critical going low, Assertion, SEL Event Data: 52 01 56 ...

This started on the 25th July - Has occurred once or twice a day, morning and or evening .. Always at 10 min's past the hour [which ever hour] ..

Box is not on a UPS [yet - putting one on tomorrow] .. My "assumption" is a mains power issue ..

Any [positive] comments appreciated ..
9 REPLIES 9
Todd Flygenring

I am wondering what the outcome of this fault was. We are curently having the same issue.
Max Walford

Well this now makes two of our customers with the exact same fault! Both (who bought and fist installed their equipment at different dates are experiencing the same issue within 1 week of each other)

HP are flying a technician from Auckland down to resolve the issue. From what they tell me, it's a cooling/fan condition. But really it's as the BIOS reports - power supply issue which could be in the PSU, MB or CPU. Unlikley the CPU considering the testing I've done on that component. More likely to be the MB and even more likely to be the PSU. Probably a faulty batch. Anyway, here's a response:

Comments added : Sep 11, 2007 9:04:55 AM NZST
ONSITE DISPATCH Problem Grading : C-Complex Spoke to : Max Walford Product,
Fault Description : ml110g4/Server stops responding with IPMI error messages
Previous repair : na
Suggestions for repair : DIAGNOSE AND REPLACE AS NECESSARY
Recommended Part A : 433549-001, SPS-Heatsink ML110G4
Recommended Part B : 419028-001,SPS-BD, System MB, ML110G4
Response : NBD
Customer impact : HIGH
Alt Phione : NA
Notes : DIAGNOSE AND REPLACE AS NECESSARY
Max Walford

Hi Todd. And David, If you've not done so already, adding a UPS will not resolve the issue because Todd's already done so and it's internal to the Server.

Will post the results of the tech visit as soon as it's complete.
David Cahill
Occasional Contributor

Tempoary solution [in my case] was to disable the [2] windows update services listed in the "scheduled tasks" folder .. I have not, as yet, revisited this particular toy to determine the "why" [but will do so when I get the time] ..
David Cahill
Occasional Contributor

No .. HP tech's thought my problem was cooling but it did not look or feel like a cooling issue [still .. popped on a new heat sink to make them feel better .. didn't resolve though] .. The box has not gone down since disabling the update service schedule but I have not yet revisited to determine the how & why of it.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the problem occurs at a scheduled time, that I don't think that this is a Hardware problem. It can be a cooling/power problem, but everytime at 10 min's past the hour. it is very suspicious. I assume you have latest FW, windows patches, so try checking if a service is the reason for this behaviour... Fan and heatsinks/Systemboard are the most likely reason if there is a thermal issue, but I don't think replacing that components will help. Can be an environmental issue - clima or something like that...

Regards
Max Walford

In the case of Todd's server, and one of my other customer's - environment is definately not the issue. Both servers are in airconditioned environments. System temperature has not risen above 40degC. Todd's server is in an office and our other customer's server is in a dedicated temperature controlled server room with other equipment.
Max Walford

Interesting side note that the HP support people have informed me that there are half a dozen other cases in NZ all reported with this same problem in the past couple of months.
Todd Flygenring

Following having the Mother Board, Heatsink and Power Supply replaced we were still recieving the same error. Since we have upgraded WSUS to WSUS 3.0 and since then we have not recieved any errors.

If you are having the same problem I would reccommend trying this before making any hardware changes.