1752482 Members
6002 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 CPU E2160: fan permanently full speed

SOLVED
Go to solution

I just checked that my ML110 G5 hasn't Management Card Port: the connection slot is closed.
And now why it has this problem?
The bios firmware is the last: 2010.10.25.

At this point I think there's a bad detection of parameters of E2160 CPU.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Pasq,

I have many 100 series servers.. and this issue was observed many times... I had tried different t/s and managed to resolved the issue.

So let me get more insight..

Is high Fan speed observed only on POST or remains the same in OS as well..?

ILO is optional on this server
However it has Embedded IPMI standard reporting.. So IPMI driver might help..

Is it possible to downgrade the system bios and check...? or downgrade and then upgrade..

thanks
Aftab

ILO
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Hi Aftab,
the fan speed remains the same in OS!

ILO there isn't on my server .

When I can retrieve a old bios?

thanks

Another detail:
on the bios setup the server has:
IPMI Specification Version: 2.0
BMC Hardware/Firmware Version: 03.05

On IPMI - Realtime sensor data the parameter of CPU Temp is:

CPU0 diode: N/A
CPU0 dmn 0temp: 30 degrees C
CPU0 dmn 1temp: N/A
CPU0 Prochot: Limit Not Exceeded
CPU0 VRD Hot: Limit Not Exceeded

I downgrade the bios at the previous version and the problem is present too.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Pasq,

Current BIOS version
Version: 2010.10.25 (A) (13 Dec 2010)
Problems Fixed:

Resolved a processor issue where an unlikely and complex sequence of conditions operating in 64-bit mode could result in an application-level error, blue screen, kernel panic, or other unpredictable system behavior. This issue affects platforms utilizing Intel Xeon 3000-series, Intel Xeon 3100-series, Intel Xeon 3300-series, Intel Core 2 4000-series, Intel Pentium 2000-series and Intel Celeron 400-series processors. This issue is not unique to HP ProLiant servers and could impact any system using affected processors. This revision of the System ROM contains an updated version of Intel microcode for affected processors that addresses this issue. Due to the potential severity of the issue addressed in this revision of the System ROM, this System ROM upgrade is considered a critical fix. HP strongly recommends immediate update to firmware revisions with required critical fixes.

So hope you didn't have any of these listed issues for which you choose to update the bios... you can go ahead with previous version of BIOS..

Old Bios
SP45854.exe (2.6 MB)
Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Servers (For USB Key-Media)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-88855a19cf384e07b3ca617154&mode=3

It has to be offline only.

other precautions..
make sure you have valid back-up..
take a note of bios configuration if customised.

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

Hi Aftab,
I have tried this as I wrote in the previous post:( this isn't a solution for my problem...

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Pasq,

I'm little surprised with this info..
on the bios setup the server has:
IPMI Specification Version: 2.0
BMC Hardware/Firmware Version: 03.05

BMC Hardware/Firmware Version: 03.05 does not come seperately.. it is part of ILO firmware.. so that indicates that you do have ILO in this system.

The BIOS firmware I suggested has Firmware Dependencies:
BMC Firmware Version 3.11 or later..

Check the ILO again...

else go to previous bios update which does not have this dependency.
SP42691.exe (2.6 MB)
Version: 2009.02.24 (A) (13 Mar 2009)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-b5bbbb8446284560b86635cc3c&mode=3

thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Ali
HPE Pro

just checked the quick specs again

You have just one Network RJ-45 (Ethernet)(10/100/1000 GB/s) port... so how many network port do you see on the rear of server chasis...

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

"just checked the quick specs again

You have just one Network RJ-45 (Ethernet)(10/100/1000 GB/s) port... so how many network port do you see on the rear of server chasis...

thanks,
Aftab"

Only one: integrated!

Now I try to install Proliant Support Pack...
It seems ok!

Thanx a lot,
Pasq
Ali
HPE Pro

that's Great! If you have managed to resolved the issue...

Cheers!
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo