ML110 G5 Constant RAID Failure

CDIT
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G5 Constant RAID Failure

Hi i support a site with a ML110 G5 server:
Windows SBS 2003
LSI Logic RAID Card (Dumb)
2 x 500gig SAS drives
I configured and installed the server and after the first few months a drive went offline (amber) i call support and they sent out a replacement drive, i booted into the RAID management console and re synced the drives.
That lasted 3 - 4 months so i called support again and over the following 9 months they replace the HD back plain, RAID card, motherboard and then the tech updated all firmware on the system including updating the 2 drives firmware.
I arrived onsite to day to find the drive offline again !!!!!
I call HP support (india) and was told that my 1 year support has expired and they are unable to assist me (Im not happy and the customer is not happy)
What can i do from here?
The server is running slow and i have the customer on my back and no help from HP support.
I am thinking of doing the following:
1. Taking an image of the server and deleting the RAID level and recreating it again and restoring the image.
2. Buying a SMART Array Card and restoring the image to the new array.
3. Doing away with the RAID card and doing software RAID.
Any recommendations would be welcome.
PS. i want the easiest solution as i am at the point where i cannot charge the client anymore and just want it working as it should be.
3 REPLIES
u84823
Regular Advisor

Re: ML110 G5 Constant RAID Failure

It could be a bad power supply causing the failures, or lack of ventilation causing overheating. Is the system fan running? Is it poorly sited (i.e. in a dusty cupboard)?

I'd personally just get another base-spec machine one (-B21 models have 3 year warantee), swap over the memory, Raid card and good drive, and Windows COA and go from there.

Annoying, but likely to continue to be a pain in the back side I'd suspect :(

HTH
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor

As the problem is related to an ongoing issue, I would speak to the folks I purchased the unit from and get them to chase HP down to get it fixed.

Just beacuase the warranty expired does not mean they have no liabilty for an ongoing problem.
CDIT
Occasional Visitor

They have been assisting all the way through but have seemed to have exhausted all avenues.
Not to mention that dealing with support in India is painful and the constant disconnections.
I think i will delete the array and recreate it and push the image back on it and see how it behaves, if that fails i will get the client to purchase a Smart RAID card and configure it.
Thanks for the replies guys.