108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 Embedded SATA Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
bknonix_1
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 Embedded SATA Controller

I am in need of some clarification here on the Embedded SATA Controller.

In RAID mode, is this working as hardware raid or software raid?

I ask, since both the Redhat ES and Fedora linux builds both detect the arrays and work fine WITHOUT the special drivers using the DMRAID functions.

The interesting fact is that none of the drive utilities see the array, they only see the individual drives.

Some clarification on this would be helpful.
6 REPLIES 6
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

If the drives are detected without installing the driver, then the raid function in bios may be disabled.

Check what stays when you log in the Controller Bios with f8 during post.
bknonix_1
Occasional Advisor

The RAID is active in BIOS.
The RAID (mirrored) was setup using the F8 bios settings.
The install only sees the RAID array as a viable installation location.

DMRAID sees the RAID array. This indicates to me that it is seen as a SOFTWARE raid.

Further StorMan does not detect the array.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

What driver is loaded ahci or aarahci? ahci ships with Linux, and treats the drives as JBOD. aarahci is the driver needed for RAID. The aarahci driver manages the RAID function, some call it 'fake RAID' as it's not true hardware RAID.

Towards the end of this thread I list the URL for the RHEL5 drivers

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1196995&admit=109447626+1205205680254+28353475

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bknonix_1
Occasional Advisor

It was the achi and your point about "fakeRAID" is what I figured out.

Decided to drop the Raid settings on the card and was going to use the Software Raid functions, but now I cannot get the OS to boot. It instals fine (sees the 4 drives I have and allows for a custom drive layout), but when I reboot at the end of the install, it gives me an error "Operating System Not Found" message. So, for some reason, it cannot find the boot loader OR the OS.

Not sure of the next step.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Try booting in rescue mode and see what it finds. If it finds your installation make sure the grub information is correct
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bknonix_1
Occasional Advisor

Problem was the the installers install the boot loader in the first partion of the raid array and not the MBR.