ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752734 Members
5384 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 Integrated vs PCI Raid (SATA)

RedGolf
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 Integrated vs PCI Raid (SATA)

What to observe when switching from the use of the integrated SATA Raid controller, to a PCI Raid controller.

Can I use any HP controller?

Can I connect current disk's (containing data) to any HP PCI Raid controller, or do I need to reconfigure, re-format the disks and and setup raid configuration(s).

System:ML110G5 E7400 with Sata disks
4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

When you switch to a hardware RAID controller such as an HP Smart Array controller, you will have to re-configure the drives. Backup your data before you start as you will lose what's currently on the disks.

Look at the quickspecs to see what Smart Array controllers are supported.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12867_na/12867_na.html#Additional%20Options
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
RedGolf
Occasional Advisor

So in case the integrated controller or main board gets broken, if have to replace the board with an identical mainboard or if I would switch to a PCI controller I need to reconfigure the raid drives?

In case I would use a PCI controller and this controller gets broken, can I replace this controller with 'any' HP Smart Array controller without reconfiguring the drives? or do I have the same problemen then.

I just want to know, because I am currently setting up my first server.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

if the system board goes bad, your only choice is to replace it with the same model system board. Doing that the drives will be fine.

If you try to move the drives to another PCI based controller card you will probably not be able to access the data, unless you can find a PCI based card that uses the same Intel/Adaptec chipset that the current system board controller uses.

Moving to an HP hardware based Smart Array Controller you will not be able to access the current data, but if the controller goes bad you can easily replace the PCI controlelr with another Smart Array controller.

The embedded RAID controller is not hardware based, it's a software basd RAID controller. The RAID function is actually controlled by a driver.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
RedGolf
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your information. Currently I am just experimenting with my new (first) server. I wil see if it is a better idea to install a PCI controller anyway.