1748197 Members
2600 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 Lag issues

GlobalIT
Occasional Contributor

ML110 G5 Lag issues

I have a new ML110 g5 server with a Xeon Quad Core Cpu, 4GB ECC RAM and two SATA 250GB hard drives mirror raid configuration. There is a SCSI card for the DAT drive. I had no problems installing windows 2003 server and the server has all the latest updates for drivers and bios from HP. My problem is the following. The server seems to be lagging and I cannot understand why. To give an example to copy a 4gb file it took me about 2.5 hours. The copy was from a folder on the raid to another folder on the raid. There seems to be an on going read on the hard drive though.
This server was destined to be used as a terminal server, but its furstrating to use it. Always bogging down!

I am heavily dissapointed in the performance of the machine. As an extra point that I wish to add, the two SATA drives are not from the same manufacturer, one is a seagate the other is a western digital but that should not make much difference. I have run the machine with only the WD drive and I still experienced this lag. Any suggestions!
2 REPLIES 2
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi GlobalIT

is the server using an SATA controller too?

if so you can try this page 2 (enable cache during POST)

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/how_to_enable_write_cache_on_sata_hdds.pdf

try and let us know if not let us know controller type

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
GlobalIT
Occasional Contributor

Hello, Thank you for your quick answer. Yes I am using the internal SATA raid controller. I believe I have enable the disk write cache. I will confirm tomorrow and let you know tomorrow.