3901 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G5 Maximum Drive Size / Firmware

ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 Maximum Drive Size / Firmware

Hi Guys

I need to know if this server will take 1TB hard disks on the standard embedded SATA Controller, ie 4 x 1YB, i know the specification says max 4 x 750GB, but earlier in the year this stated that 4 x 500GB was the max, so obviously its upgradable via firmware. Does anyone know if:

1. this server can take 1tb disks
2. if not anyone know of a firmware that allows this.
3. failing that, anyone at HP know if this is due to be rolled out as 1tb disks have been around a while.

Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: ML110 G5 Maximum Drive Size / Firmware

1 TB drives should work fine in this server. It appears that the only reason there is no option listed in the quickspecs for the server for 1 TB drives is due to HP not offering 1 TB non hotplug drives yet. No firmware upgrade should be necessary for this either.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply

Can anyone confirm that they actually work, I dont want to buy 4 x 1TB disks and they dont work, does anyone already have 1TB disks running in this server on the onboard SATA controller.?

Cheers
ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

Another question is maybe the board will detect the 1tb disks but will the raid bios allow 2 x 1tb disks in a raid 1 set ?
klwong
Occasional Contributor

We are about to do the same thing, scheduled for coming Christmas. The way we approach being in case it does not work with the embedded controller, we will get a SATA controller card for it which we are doing this on a lot of older servers. Hope this help. KL
ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for the reply,but i need to know if someone has actually done this, as ive just seem 1.5tb disks are out, and need confirmation if someone has actually ran 1TB and also got 1tb disks in a raid 1 set

Thanks
klwong
Occasional Contributor

Yes we did using Adaptec SATA controller card.
ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

Hi Thanks, but my original question stated, I need to knwo if it works using the embedded Sata controller i know its possible with ADD ONs, but i need to know if it worths with the onboard controller.

Thanks
klwong
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I am awared of your original question which is the reason from my first response, I said 'in case it does not work then...'

We implemented 1TB mirror using the onboard controller on ML110G4, not G5. Hope this clarify.
ITEngineer
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone confirm that they have actually installed 1tb Disks in this server and created a raid 1 set (even better has anyone installed 1.5tb disks) ??

Thanks