ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752653 Members
5588 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 - PCI Express x8 Slot (slot 4)

Ju_1
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 - PCI Express x8 Slot (slot 4)

Has anyone got any idea why my NVidia Graphics Card does not run at 8x in this slot when I use an "x16 to x8 converter"?

See http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pciexpressx8tox16adapter-p-755.html

All it does is run at x1! Card runs at 16x when placed in a native x16 slot on another machine.

BIOS is updated to latest version on HP site and I also set BIOS back to default settings.

Have also tried two of these adaptors with the same result.

It would be great if anyone knew how to enable the x8 slot functionality, as the embedded GC is pants!

8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

at least is working

most of the time you get no video no post or beeps when you insert a third party PCI card in a proliant server...
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ju_1
Occasional Advisor

Karlo,

Not so! It is an HP card ... (sort of)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12823_div/12823_div.HTML

I may be forgetful sometimes, but I ain't dumb enough to think I can put any old card in there!

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes but it's supported in
HP xw4550, xw4600, xw6600, xw8600 and xw9400 Workstations.

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ju_1
Occasional Advisor

Indeed it is!

I also have other HP branded PCI-Express cards from different manufacturers in other slots in this machine. They work as expected, so this is mystifying.

Take your point, but I could do with a bit more to go on. Anyone else tried to do this?
luterocoruna

Hello, I dont have the answer to the question, but I can say that I bought a x8 to x8 pcie extender and cut it so that a sapphire hd4550 video card could be connected, and I have the same problem as you have. It only works at x1, and I tried in the 3 pcie slots. It is supposed it should work at x8 in the last slot (the one close to the procesor refrigerator), the two first are x1. I am using latest bios from HP, latest drivers from sapphire, and WXP 64. I think it is not a power supply problem as it is said this video card uses very little power. Maybe something in the Bios?
Thanks in advance.
Luis
TTr
Honored Contributor

> All it does is run at x1! Card runs at 16x when placed in a native x16 slot on another machine.

Did you try this converter on another machine? This way you narrow the problem down to the server or the PCIe converter.

Also did you read the warning in red text about the PCI converter at the bottom of the converter URL? It looks like the converter is the prime suspect unless you prove otherwise.
Ju_1
Occasional Advisor

Guys, both good points.

Luterocoruna - I think I agree with you and suspect that it's the BIOS. From looking at some of the Dell forums, it was clear that Dell were 'hobbling' some of the slots on their motherboards to stop people doing exactly what I am trying to do.

TTr - hats off, I *really* should try this in another machine at some point, but as the card is in a server I don' think I'll be taking it out any time soon. Besides, I don't have any machines with slots in at home (all laptops) but do have some at work. Come to think of it, I could take my spare extender into work and put another VideoCard into it to see what happens.

I did see the warning, for the price though, it seemed worth the risk!

Will let you know once I get round to further testing.
luterocoruna

Yes Ju, I think it is the Bios as like AJDavey says in this post
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1353196
he has tried with other kind of adapters and always work at x1
"Regardless of the type of card I try (Adaptec RAID, Intel RAID, QLogic FCHBA) it always reports the card as 8x supported 1x Selected."
If it happens the same with Raid cards, that are the kind of cards supposed to be used in that slot, then I think HP has some problem with that slot, be it the BIOS or the motherboard. Should we ask for a new main board with that problem fixed?
thanks