1748146 Members
3685 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

Ossian Birch
Advisor

ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

New ML110 G5 Tower case - system fan is running at MAX constantly, from what I believe this should normally spin down after about 30 seconds, the machine is FAR TOO noisy to be in the same room with. From other posts on external sites people say its really quiet after the first spin up. Server has latest BIOS dated 2008/15/7.
No fan speed options in BIOS either.
If this is not a simple fix then its getting returned -
Noise figures are quoted as around 36dBA - which seems comparable with 'normal' workstations (even though this is designed as a server - but this is nothing close. Any help would be much appreciated.
103 REPLIES 103
srossbach
Occasional Advisor

Same Problem here (470064-918)! One hour ago the HP Technican has changed Systemboard and Systemfan... Nothing changed!!! Systemfan is running at 3500rpm CPU fan at 3000rpm. Without load! Newest Firmware.
I have 2 other ML110 G5 (470064-639) with load Systemfan and CPU Fan at 1500rpm.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

I have opened a case with HP - only suggestion is to reflash the BIOS -
Found a similar case BUT for G4 servers:

There was a BIOS fix for that issue -

Do you have the Xeon E3110 3.0Ghz processor?
srossbach
Occasional Advisor

I've reflashed the BIOS on the old board -> no change
The HP technican reflashed BIOS on the new board -> no change
Yes, I have the Xeon E3110 3.0Ghz processor. The 2 other silent ML100 G5 have Xeon E3065 2.33Ghz processors.

Perhaps we have to wait for the next firmware update...

@HP Support: I'am have no problems to flash a Beta Firmware ;-) At the moment the server sounds like a DL...
Ossian Birch
Advisor

Yes - Mine is 470064-918

This is the same issue reported on G4 models - according to the following article also Xeon Processor - BIOS unable to read temp sensors on Xeon CPU - Therefore spun fans at Max. Pretty poor programming - again.

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c01139157-2

srossbach
Occasional Advisor

Found in revision history for "Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Servers":

Version: 2007.12.07 (A) (11 Dec 2007)
Fixes
Resolved an issue with the system fan speed operating too low when the XEON E3110 processor is installed.

So it's not a first time problem with the fan
Ossian Birch
Advisor

I see you are also in switzerland - Who is your reseller? - I got mine from ITRIS.

Right now I would settle for fan speed too low! unless the CPU overheats :( I Dont know how to escalate HP further - have informed reseller of the problems and asked for leverage there, and have open support case - as I have next day support contract - but I can wait a few more days. I guess swapping for a different CPU bsaed model might be an alternative possibility.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

-Update
HP have said they have seen a similar problem and by replacing the CPU heatsink this solved the problem - It is being dispatched to me - will update results here.
srossbach
Occasional Advisor

Sounds interessting, but why not. The CPU fan is also included in the heatsink. Perhaps the System fan speed is connected with the CPU fan speed. We will see.
I'm looking forward for your update...
Ossian Birch
Advisor

Oh tried stepping back to previous BIOS with no change in fan speed - apart from the message "processor not supported" my gut feeling is that this is still BIOS code related, but happy to go along with HP to fault find.
Changed back to latest BIOS again no change.