1753846 Members
7842 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

Michel Bachofen
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

Did you try changing only the CPU first? I should get a new Motherboard and CPU this week. So if it's the CPU, we should know soon..
andrea dal zovo
Advisor

No i didn't, cause you need to clean the hts and I'm too lazy to do it :-) it's better to use a new&clean one!
Juergen Jaeger

I've changed only the CPU (normal core2duo 2,4GHz) and the system is running fine! Temp between 40 and 45 degrees on both cores.
So I think the CPU or the Bios is the problem.
But the HP Support always tells me the same story. I've to install a supported OS, because I'm using XP Pro. But if you ask me, thats bullshit!
Ossian Birch
Advisor

"System fan is running on 2940 RPM, and CPU fan is running on 2645 RPM.
CPU and not on the FAN.
46├Г ├В┬░C CPU Serial: Q824A335
39├Г ├В┬░C CPU Serial: Q811A388"

These values still seem high - I have 25/26 deg (ambient room temp 19deg) from power up with no load and 1500 rpm - the machine is silent.
Ossian Birch
Advisor

You are correct - the OS has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Fan speed and CPU temp readout is a function of the BIOS. We can be certain that the problem is that the BIOS is unable to correctly read CPU temp from the 45nm 3.0Ghz Xeon CPU - OR the CPUs are faulty. I suspect the former as reading a diode resistance and correlating this with temperature is a very simple thing to do. I am running Ubuntu Linux 8.10
Michel Bachofen
Occasional Advisor

HP support said any CPU with 3.0GHz or more wouldn't function properly. They're working on a BIOS fix right now (due in January), but it still looks like some of the users here have overcome their problem by replacing their CPU with another 3.0GHz CPU. So I wonder whether it's really the BIOS or the CPU. I should get my new 3.0GHz CPU tomorrow. If it won't work I might get a 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU instead, which should work with the current BIOS release.
Frederic Hertling

hello, we get 7 HP ML110 G5 (470064-918) from Techdata and Also. Only 4 on the 7 are running correctly, meaning FAN running silently without system load. This mean near 50% defect system on delivery!

We have open a case for 2 of them. An HP Technician came on site after 2 days with a new motherboard. He changed it in a ML110 without success. Fan is still runnin at max speed. The HP technician said he sould come again with a new heatsink. But after 7 days without contact, other that a mail informing that the ticket was closed, we call HP again to complain. The HP Technician told us that he's waiting on a fan part. We respond that we already changed the fan between a working server and non-working server without any positive results.

We were then transfert from people to people on phone, explaining always the same things. HP is not able to correct the problem; HP also delayed every day the on site meeting with the HP technician. We were then lucky by having a HP women from the complain center who organise a DOA for 2 servers. Sound good ? no.

We had to paid for the servers return and 1 of the 2 new servers has the problem again.

We were trying since yesterday to reach the complain center again, without success and the message leave on the voice system asking for a callback have at this time no effect.

Is this situation so because of the HP personnal policy asking the employee to take their holiday for the next two-three weeks in Switzerland ?

I can confirm that if the CPU Temperature is below 38 C the the fan is working "correctly" and if above 43C the fan are running full speed.
Michel Bachofen
Occasional Advisor

and guess what; im still waiting for my hardware parts to arrive..
Juergen Jaeger

I called th HP Support yesterday. He only told me that they know what the problem is (Firmware) and they are working on it. He also told me that they have no solution for this problem at this time. I have to wait until the Firmware update is ready. But he don't know when!
Thats nice, isn't it?
Ossian Birch
Advisor

The solution is to give you a CPU that works with that BIOS - seems like the only options are Dual 2.66Ghz or the Quad 2.66 - but the strange thing is that SOME 3.0Ghz CPU work - although a small minority.