1752629 Members
6017 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 and P400 firmware

TheBoy
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 and P400 firmware

Does anyone know the latest firmware for P400 that will still work on an ML110 G5?

I upgraded my P400 to 5.26c, and now it doesn't present the Smart Array P400 stuff at boot up, and the server locks up at the point of where it would normally appear?
9 REPLIES 9
TheBoy
Occasional Advisor

Just for info, in case anyone else does the same, it would appear that the V5.xx and V6.xx firmware on P400 makes it incompatible with Proliant ML110 G5. V4.12 appears to be latest that will work.

If, like me, you don't have another Proliant to downgrade the firmware, using the HP Firmware CD in other computers with just modifying the blacklist file works fine - or it least it worked fine in my Dell Dimension 9200.

Hope that helps people who fell into the same hole I did.
u84823
Regular Advisor

You're finding some good stuff with these servers - probably you know more than HP do!
TheBoy
Occasional Advisor

u84823 - much of my work on these servers is born out of frustration from the "Its not supported, thus won't work" type brick walls I kept hitting with official support.

Its a shame that HP artificially knobble these servers, as they are great little capable small-scale servers, ideal for SOHO, making a better server than any desktop, and stunning value (particularly at last years prices!)
slipgate
Advisor

what did you modify in the blacklist file and what values do you need to put in? I've got a similar problem, but it's an ML115 G5 with a new P400 that doesn't appear at POST.

Thanks
TheBoy
Occasional Advisor

If if doesn't appear in POST, you need to downgrade it in another PC - in my case I used a Dell Dimension 9200 desktop, booted off a Firmware Maintenence CD, and had the older firmware on a USB key which I pointed the firmware updater to.
slipgate
Advisor

Ok, thanks for that. I'm just struggling to find another machine! I've only got laptops at home.

The odd thing is, I was at a client site yesterday. They've got an ML310. It POSTed once. When I rebooted, with the SmartStart in, it failed to recognise the card. I figured a 300 series machine would be good enough?!?!?!

I tried also at another site today with an ML110. Thinking it wouldn't see it, I just turned on the server saw it POST. Reboot with memory stick, no dice...

It baffles me why HP would nobble the card in such a way.
Bleeder
Frequent Advisor

I don't know about the P400, but the P410 does work in the Proliant 100 series servers. It is even mentioned in the release notes for the latest P410 firmware (version 3.00).
Viel_3

The latest P400 Bios is the 4.12 in my ML110 G5

( December /2009 Bios)

Regards

jbainbridge
Advisor

I tried a P400 in a new ML110 G5 and found that it failed to boot and just locked up showing a flashing cursor on the top left of the screen.

Having read this thread I tried in my HP DC7700 desktop with the intention of finding the f/w version and downgrading it. However this failed to boot too.

I then tried it in the middle PCIe slot of the ML110 and success!

Maybe this will help someone ???

JB.