108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G5 servers catch on fire

SOLVED
Go to solution
gganahl
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G5 servers catch on fire

I have a set of 11 ML110 G5 servers all purchased at the same time.  So far 7 of them have had a power cable connected to the hard drive melt down and catch on fire, some in the middle of the night when no one was around.  Fortunately the fires were small and contained within the case, but it seems very odd that so many of the servers are experiencing the same (very dangerous) problem.

Of course, they were just out of warranty when the problem started.  Now, when I try to go through the web site to initiate a chat or email with HP, it asks for the serial number and tells me that I cannot contact Support for free since the warranty is expired.

How do I make the right folks at HP aware of the problem?  If my office space burns down because of an issue with a whole batch of their servers, I am sure my company will seek some kind of recompense, in warranty or not...

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business Support Web Site to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
KristenReyes
HPE Blogger
Solution

Hello gganahl!  My apologies for your troubles.  I can get you in touch with someone to help you with this right away.  Can you please email me your contact information at kristen.reyes@hp.com so I can connect you?  I look forward to assisting you with your issue.

Kristen Reyes
gganahl
Occasional Visitor

Thanks to Kristen, representatives from HP's Engineering Problem Resolution group contacted me and worked very hard to resolve the issue.

It turns out there was a known issue with the internal power connector, but I did not get notified because my systems were out of warranty (or perhaps notification was sent to someone who is no longer with our company).

They sent two new cables to retrofit the servers that are still running.

They sent seven brand new ML110 G7 servers to replace the G5s that caught fire.

Thank you to Kristen, Rizwan, and Teekia!

prestigeitnz
Occasional Visitor

same here, see pic.. HP doesnt want to know anything about it

Nuno Couto
Occasional Visitor

Hi!!!

I have the some problem...3 of my ML110 G5 melt the sata power cable.

I dont know what to do...This 3 server was my DNS server and was on my DataCenter with 60 other server (Blades etc)..

This photos is example.

Please reply urgent

Nuno Couto

Ronweke

Hello prestigeitnz!  My apologies for your troubles.  I can immediately assist you with this issue.
Please email your contact information to ml110g5pcc@hp.com. I look forward to assisting you.

Ronweke

Please reference the following Customer Advisory for details on the Proactive Customer Care program that has been developed in response to this issue:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c03199591

Ronweke

Hello Nuno Couto! My apologies for your troubles.  I can immediately assist you with this issue.
Please email your contact information to ml110g5pcc@hp.com. I look forward to assisting you.

Nuno Couto
Occasional Visitor

Thanks..i allready sent my information

Bluespark
Occasional Visitor

Hi

We have also now suffered a fire on our ML110 server recently. As others have described it appears to have centred around the SATA drive, but the flames/smouldering has also damaged the memory chips and motherboard.

I have to say this has come as quite a shock, the building was unmanned at the time, and so this has raised considerable alarm within the company.

I have tried to email ml110g5pcc@hp.com but no reply so far